Looking for diy active speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hallo,

are there some established diy designs or kits out there for 2- or 3-way active speakers?

My long term plan involves building some really good speakers (at some point in the future, I do not have time & the money at the moment), but I only find "conventional" designs with passive crossovers. I am looking for well documented kits (from people who know what they are doing with the speakers, unlike me) with good drivers and cabinet buildings.

As I see it, all good 2- or 3-way diy designs with expensive drivers always use crossover parts that easily exceed the price of the drivers, making the hole package even more expensive.

Also, for good results, shortcomings in the frequency response are often addressed with correction networks in the crossover, what makes just swapping the passive crossover with an active one not possible.

So, assuming there are benefits from an active solution (without opening a discussion about this here):
Are there any documented and approved designs, that only need an active crossover? With active crossover, I mean a simple allen-key, or similiar arrangements, no DSP based solutions.
For example: Here is a box with two drivers, it sounds good without correction networks and needs an active filter at this frequency with this steepness...

I know there a some manufacturers like Wilmslow-Audio that can build and design something to your needs, but this is somehow "closed source". The diy world is full of openly discussed designs for nearly everything, but for active speakers, I don´t seem to find something... Maybe it is more easy than I think.

Any hints appreciated,
Thanks
Flo

Thanks Filipe,

I should have stated this earlier, but I am looking for a standmount speaker, with higher cabinet volume. I doesn´t have to be a 15 inch sub, but slightly bigger than the posted monitors...

Here are some designs that I find interesting, but both of them use some passive correction networks. I can´t really tell if that would make them unusable with active crossovers...

Illumina-66

VOGUE - Platinum

http://www.hificritic.com/downloads/digital/HIFICRITIC_TRK1.pdf

first of all I love Troels Gravesen projects , that illumina-66 looks stunning ,
I looked for something like you do but for less general use (active monitors) and I ended up with NOTHING , there s not that much active designs out there , Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design has some designs for an active system and it sells all the boards you need for that , with abit of knowledge you can make it to work with any setup you want , but that s far beyond my experience , Finally I give active xo idea up , cuz what I look for can easily (and less expensive) and even better be done by DSPs , but to ease your pain they are not that much designs for active xos and one of the reason is you have to design an xo specially for a certain kinda speaker and cabinet in mind , and doing so needs some knowledge , lotsa experience and some measuring equipment ...

Regards
Ahmad

Ahmad, yes, the Gravensen projects are really great. I am also aware of the linkwitz projects, but they are not really what I am looking for.

Regarding the chrossovers, I think it is not too difficult to implement the right kind of filter, provided its crossover-frequency and steepness are known. I have to admit, dsp based solutions are much more flexible here. However, the thing I don't like about dsp is that you need multiple dacs or some dsp based poweramps. Neither of which I have.

I would like to go active the "classic" way, by inserting an analoge active crossover after the pre and a second (or third, if it has to be) poweramp and that's it.

John, did you build your speakers on your own?

Regarding the chrossovers, I think it is not too difficult to implement the right kind of filter, provided its crossover-frequency and steepness are known.

yes , if you read articles on linkwitz and some other like Rod Elliott on electronic filters you can build one easily , but in case you dont know keep in mind that it s not only an active XO you need to do some shelf filters ,BSC , notch filters as well maybe ... but if i were you i would forget about it for now till I really know how to design an active XO , I would first build a passive one since designing a good active xo is not that easy and you need lotsa error and trial if you don have some equipment ,
I have to admit, dsp based solutions are much more flexible here. However, the thing I don't like about dsp is that you need multiple dacs or some dsp based poweramps. Neither of which I have.
whatt ? dsps don t need dacs or dsp based poweramps (what does it even mean) , DSPs usually has 2 RCA input , and 4 or 6 or more RCA output , it has built in DAC , ADC (you can use outside DACs with it but it s an option) and all you need to do is plug it to pc via USB and run the filters on it ,you can connect any RCA to inputs and then connect outputs to ANY power amp you like ...

Last edited:
whatt ? dsps don t need dacs or dsp based poweramps (what does it even mean) , DSPs usually has 2 RCA input , and 4 or 6 or more RCA output , it has built in DAC , ADC (you can use outside DACs with it but it s an option) and all you need to do is plug it to pc via USB and run the filters on it ,you can connect any RCA to inputs and then connect outputs to ANY power amp you like ...

Ahh, I understand. I didn't realize that there were combined Dac/Adc combinations available yet. Stupid me.

But a diy solution for this would be difficult, I guess.

Ahh, I understand. I didn't realize that there were combined Dac/Adc combinations available yet. Stupid me.

But a diy solution for this would be difficult, I guess.
no , dsps are growing , in fact that s maybe the reason that active xos isn't that popular these days , you can find some very decent modular DSPs for diying , as I said you only need to connect rca to inputs and cunnect outputs to some amps , then you have to set the filters and that s very easy (you can find some vids on youtube or download the software if available and see how it works) , you still need some measuring equipment if you want to set them accurate , but you can do that buy simulating filters in some other software or do it by ears ,
why DIYing , they r modules available to use in your DIY project and you can buy a very decent and popular one for 100USD , check these out :

miniDSP (cheapest one)

DLCP by hypex (highend)

NAJDA (it s coming soon , it has very good specs and very good price around 300$ I think)

Last edited:
Id second the minisdp. Run a source in and any amplifiers, and you have an active setup. I was using little Class T amps i bought on eBay for £25 and they worked pretty well. But you can use any amp, even home cinema receiver ones will often allow 5 channels in one box.

The minisdp can run off a usb plug, I have yet to use it but purchased the digi board and the power amp board (requires you to buy a power supply)

But you can run a 2way active from these two/three small board eliminating the need for separate power amps.

Thanks for the info Ahmad, I´ll have a read.
Maybe I can get used to the idea of digital crossovers...

i can understand that , if I could design an active filter with features those DSPs have I would and would never touch the dsps as they have their own downs , but achieving something near those DSPs require a larger setup , lots of knowledge and experience and will cost more ,

I would like to go active the "classic" way, by inserting an analoge active crossover after the pre and a second (or third, if it has to be) poweramp and that's it.

John, did you build your speakers on your own?

Yes. My speakers are of my own design and are the equal of any similar systems available.

By the way, with the miniDSP you can set the system up in your "classic" mode, replacing the analog active crossover with miniDSP. My system plans come complete with the required configuration files for the miniDSP if you go the digital route.

Last edited:
It's going to be a lot easier to use a digital crossover than an analog unless you are lucky enough to only need a standard crossover with no EQ or adjustment needed.

With analog you are locked into one setup so it better be right. With digital you can easily change if you need to.

Take a look at the number of changes the Orions have gone through on the Linkwitz site. Each change has meant redoing the analog crossover/EQ.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.