Looking for diy active speakers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2012, 10:14 AM   #11
kumori is offline kumori  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad_tbp View Post
whatt ? dsps don t need dacs or dsp based poweramps (what does it even mean) , DSPs usually has 2 RCA input , and 4 or 6 or more RCA output , it has built in DAC , ADC (you can use outside DACs with it but it s an option) and all you need to do is plug it to pc via USB and run the filters on it ,you can connect any RCA to inputs and then connect outputs to ANY power amp you like ...
Ahh, I understand. I didn't realize that there were combined Dac/Adc combinations available yet. Stupid me.

But a diy solution for this would be difficult, I guess.
Old 31st December 2012, 10:45 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumori View Post
Ahh, I understand. I didn't realize that there were combined Dac/Adc combinations available yet. Stupid me.

But a diy solution for this would be difficult, I guess.
no , dsps are growing , in fact that s maybe the reason that active xos isn't that popular these days , you can find some very decent modular DSPs for diying , as I said you only need to connect rca to inputs and cunnect outputs to some amps , then you have to set the filters and that s very easy (you can find some vids on youtube or download the software if available and see how it works) , you still need some measuring equipment if you want to set them accurate , but you can do that buy simulating filters in some other software or do it by ears ,
why DIYing , they r modules available to use in your DIY project and you can buy a very decent and popular one for 100USD , check these out :

miniDSP (cheapest one)

DLCP by hypex (highend)

NAJDA (it s coming soon , it has very good specs and very good price around 300$ I think)

Last edited by Ahmad_tbp; 31st December 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 31st December 2012, 12:56 PM   #13
kumori is offline kumori  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info Ahmad, IŽll have a read.
Maybe I can get used to the idea of digital crossovers...
Old 31st December 2012, 01:23 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Id second the minisdp. Run a source in and any amplifiers, and you have an active setup. I was using little Class T amps i bought on eBay for Ł25 and they worked pretty well. But you can use any amp, even home cinema receiver ones will often allow 5 channels in one box.

The minisdp can run off a usb plug, I have yet to use it but purchased the digi board and the power amp board (requires you to buy a power supply)

But you can run a 2way active from these two/three small board eliminating the need for separate power amps.
Old 31st December 2012, 01:59 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info Ahmad, IŽll have a read.
Maybe I can get used to the idea of digital crossovers...
i can understand that , if I could design an active filter with features those DSPs have I would and would never touch the dsps as they have their own downs , but achieving something near those DSPs require a larger setup , lots of knowledge and experience and will cost more ,
Old 31st December 2012, 02:08 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would like to go active the "classic" way, by inserting an analoge active crossover after the pre and a second (or third, if it has to be) poweramp and that's it.

John, did you build your speakers on your own?
Yes. My speakers are of my own design and are the equal of any similar systems available.

By the way, with the miniDSP you can set the system up in your "classic" mode, replacing the analog active crossover with miniDSP. My system plans come complete with the required configuration files for the miniDSP if you go the digital route.

Last edited by john k...; 31st December 2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 31st December 2012, 04:57 PM   #17
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

http://www.hificritic.com/downloads/...RITIC_TRK2.pdf

Hi,

There is enough information in the above to build an active version.
Use say double the power for the bass than the mid treble.

rgds, sreten.
Old 31st December 2012, 06:03 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

It's going to be a lot easier to use a digital crossover than an analog unless you are lucky enough to only need a standard crossover with no EQ or adjustment needed.

With analog you are locked into one setup so it better be right. With digital you can easily change if you need to.

Take a look at the number of changes the Orions have gone through on the Linkwitz site. Each change has meant redoing the analog crossover/EQ.

Hide this!Advertise here!