Different sound between a pair of Tannoy Mercury-S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I have a pair of olf Tannoy Mercury-S which sounds awesome with my NAIM NAP90.

However, I noticed that one speaker sounds mych more accurate and clear/clean than the other. The separation is much much better while on the other unit there is much more low mid as if the woofer is responsible to more content.

Could that be a result of bad crossover ? is there a simple way to compare the crossovers but monitoring capacitance/resistance on the leads of the tweeter and woofer, without taking parts out ?

Or could this be simply a defect on one of the speakers ?

Tannoy Mercury-S :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/222384-new-cabinet-old-tannoys.html

Speakers deteriorate gradually with age. You might suspect a loose or corroded connector behind the woofer access. Dried out ferrofluid in the tweeter clogging it up. Or Non-polar electrolytic capacitors having dried out and gone open circuit.

Nothing stopping you swapping the tweeters around to see if the fault follows, or giving them the 1.5V battery crackle test to see of one is dead.

Capacitors are easy enough to replace.
Alcap 50V Low Loss Electrolytic capacitors for all audio and hi-fi loudspeaker crossover applications

Polypropylene or polyester capacitors might be considered an upgrade. I expect you'll get them singing. It's fun to do this. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.