Garage speakers Low cost important

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Another project for a friend, I'm reusing a freebie box of 30 litres and I have a good enough 5 inch midrange here salvaged from an old Sony 2-way.
In my bits box I have a 5.8mH coil and a 47uF cap which should give me close to a Bessel roll-off on the low end at ~300Hz The mid should be OK using its natural roll-off but I can find a coil for a first order cut at if I need it
mid will be used in a closed box ( Actually my coffee can trick ) of 1.75 litres

My problem is not having another coil to use on the woofer ( which hasn't been found yet but I have a few cheap 8inch here and 8 is the biggest the box will take
What I do have in my box is a large selection of large caps
Has any-one tried using a shunt coil in a first order XO in combination with a normal ( parallel ) second order high pass

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
If you mean that one of the drivers will have a second order high pass filter followed by a shunt coil to cut the highs, you should consider that there will be relatively little source impedance above the passband for the shunt coil to work with and it's probably not a good idea unless given some careful consideration.

Do you mean something like a hybrid series/ parallel crossover network? What I'm thinking is,

-the low-pass (LP) coil connected across the input terminals to the second order high-pass filter,
-the tweeter connected to the output terminals of the high-pass filter (of course)
-the + terminal of the woofer connected to one terminal of the LP coil
-the - terminal of the woofer connected to - out of the amp
-finally, the other terminal of the LP coil connected to the + out of the amp.

IMO that would work in some fashion. I haven't tried it.

Regards,
Pete

something like this?

Attachments

• xo.JPG
    xo.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 85
In my post #4, substitute mid for tweeter. Actually what I had in mind wouldn't work at all. In the pass-band for the mid, the impedance of network including the mid approaches being equal to the impedance of the mid itself. So in that range, the woofer would be receiving about half of the amp's voltage, assuming equal impedance of the woofer and mid.

-Pete

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
OK What I was thinking won't work.
I get used to being wrong.
Problem solved though as I just found an 8inch full range with a rising response so I guess it's going to be a 1.5Way Baffle is 270mm wide so I guess I'll just add a boost woofer 1st order at ~ the -6dB point somewhere close to 400hz. 2.7 - 3mh should do it
I did say low cost was the priority

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.