Question on rebuilding my speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2012, 12:43 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Question on rebuilding my speakers

Hi Folks,

I've been out the audio and DIY scene for some time but I am back and enjoying listening to music again (my music room was piled high with trash but is now cleared out).

I am doing some upgrading on my system which originally consisted of:

Sony SACD (can't remember the model, mid level)
Preamp - homemade, can't find the schematic but battery powered, Burr-Brown opamps and quality components, alps blue etc Separate phono board
Power amp - Pass DIY penultimate zen
Rega Planar 2 TT - Rega super elys cartridge
Speakers - Home made, VIFA PL14WJ09-08 woofers, VIFA PL27TG35-06 tweeters, active sealed sub bass with 10" driver

The system sounded good, but I didn't do a great job of my home made speakers, I think I mismatched the sensitivity of the drivers (woofer was 86db/w, tweeter was 91db/w) and the crossover was not optimal, made it sound tinny and thin compared to say some good B&W speakers.

I have already made some changes:

ODAC DAC, which is PC fed right now, I am switching to a raspberry pi music server, all files lossless WAV rips
B1 preamp, Pass DIY design, stock (haven't complete this yet, but I have confirmed the ODAC has enough juice to drive the power amp)

I'd like to get a new phono amp stage too.

Next I want to fix my speakers, looking at the specs my tweeters are pretty good (I don't want to spend a fortune) so I figure I'll recycle them and simply buy new woofers and make new enclosures and re-do the crossover trying to use some of the components I already have.

What I'm looking for is some nice efficient speakers with good sensitivity, I listen to a variety of music but I like something punchy and involving, dynamic.
I found these Eminence drivers on parts-express:

Eminence Alpha-6A 6" Midrange 8 Ohm 290-400

93.6db/watt, frequency response looks pretty good. Reasonably priced.

Any opinions on these or something that might be more suitable?

I also plan on revisiting some kind of PC based frequency analysis tool to examine response for tuning crossovers, I'm sure there must be something available now?

Thanks!

Chris
Old 30th December 2012, 01:29 AM   #2
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I don't get you. Tweeters are almost always more efficient than woofers. You add resistance.

Did you look at Troels Vifa PL14WJ project?
Vifa PL14WJ-

Not a big deal to adapt it for various Vifa tweeters. All he does here is change the tweeter capacitor and resistor:
Peerless HDS PPB 830860

That's what I would do.
Old 30th December 2012, 01:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

1. you design your own speaker,
2. you ask a question about/ or help to design a speaker,
3. you choose from a DIY speaker kit in the cloud.
Choose one. (Sorry to say) Its' not like a Lego. Have a nice DIY.
I was going to help but I don't know what you want (from the above).
Vifa PL14WJ-
Pi Speakers - Prices, Dimensions and Specifications
Old 31st December 2012, 04:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
I don't get you. Tweeters are almost always more efficient than woofers. You add resistance.

Did you look at Troels Vifa PL14WJ project?
Vifa PL14WJ-

Not a big deal to adapt it for various Vifa tweeters. All he does here is change the tweeter capacitor and resistor:
Peerless HDS PPB 830860

That's what I would do.
Thanks system7, I decided to base my new speaker off the peerless link you sent but with the 6.5 peerless woofer. I'll adjust the crossover accordingly. Thanks again everyone!
Old 3rd January 2013, 03:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi. If you doing something new why not a 3-Way (your original drivers plus 1 woofer).
If you're using a new woofer please point to the specs/reference of your option(s) drivers(+ original tweeter?).
For help, you can also simulate (only software) as a starting point, mapping the graphs, output, impedance, phase and then input them in the crossover software for the 2-Way or 3-Way simulation, before you use the mic/field measurements tools.
Quote:
I also plan on revisiting some kind of PC based frequency analysis tool to examine response for tuning crossovers, I'm sure there must be something available now?
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
Hi. If you doing something new why not a 3-Way (your original drivers plus 1 woofer).
If you're using a new woofer please point to the specs/reference of your option(s) drivers(+ original tweeter?).
For help, you can also simulate (only software) as a starting point, mapping the graphs, output, impedance, phase and then input them in the crossover software for the 2-Way or 3-Way simulation, before you use the mic/field measurements tools.
I already put my old woofers in some other speakers to give me something to listen to while I finish this project. I am going to buy a pair of Peerless 830875's for the new speakers:

Peerless 830875 6-1/2" Nomex Cone HDS Woofer 264-1092

I've done some crossover modelling, 2nd order linkwitz riley, 2210Hz crossover point allows me to reuse my old inductors which are the more expensive foil types. I just need some new resistors and capacitors. I'm adding a small L-pad to attenuate the tweeter.

I'm using winISD for the enclosure with a vented tube.
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:43 PM   #7
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

You need to use some proper information if you want decent speakers.

L-padding the tweeter down to the bassmid and using a poor
crossover calculator for "2nd order L/R" will still be very poor.

FRD Consortium tools guide

rgds, sreten.
Old 4th January 2013, 03:57 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris,
sreten has a lot of details, maybe experience, on this driver; Peerless 830875
Peerless 830875 in sealed box
Then you should point to an achievable plan for the crossover. Keep posting for his ideas on the type of box/enclosure. (Also I suppose you are using it with the VIFA PL27TG35-06 tweeter). Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!