a couple of questions concerning my crossover - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Account disabled at member's request

Default a couple of questions concerning my crossover

my crossover is:
For the Tweeter the resistors are 4R7 in series and 6R8 in parallel. Choke is 0.47mH and Capacitor is 1.5uF.

For the Midrange the RC across the driver is 12 Ohm and 4.7uF. The crossover Capacitor and Inductor for the Lowpass are 2.2uF and 0.5mH.

Im using the schematic from this project: http://www.exdreamnet.de/forum/user/.../Pro38_Art.jpg

Thing is, I cant see the Watts requires for my resistors and I cant find the Volts needed for my capacitors. Are the resistors, can I use 1/4watts or 1/2 watts? And is 400v capavitors would be fine here?

can anyone here help me figure this thing out?

thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 10:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

10 Watt ceramic resistors would be my best guess ( this is what I always use- often 2*5 Watts in parallel )
100 Volts capacitors are usually OK for a 100 watts and anything over that is going to be fine
Old 29th December 2012, 10:55 PM   #3
pkitt is offline pkitt  United States
diyAudio Member

The information shown in your link is way too small to be visible no matter what I try to do to enlarge it, but I can still answer your questions. In a crossover, all resistors usually have at least a 10-watt power rating. Capacitors rated at 400 volts are fine, but so are those rated at 200 volts (and even 100 volts in some cases).
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
my crossover is:
For the Tweeter the resistors are 4R7 in series and 6R8 in parallel. Choke is 0.47mH and Capacitor is 1.5uF.

For the Midrange the RC across the driver is 12 Ohm and 4.7uF. The crossover Capacitor and Inductor for the Lowpass are 2.2uF and 0.5mH.

Im using the schematic from this project: http://www.exdreamnet.de/forum/user/.../Pro38_Art.jpg

Thing is, I cant see the Watts requires for my resistors and I cant find the Volts needed for my capacitors. Are the resistors, can I use 1/4watts or 1/2 watts? And is 400v capavitors would be fine here?

can anyone here help me figure this thing out?

thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 11:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
10 Watt ceramic resistors would be my best guess ( this is what I always use- often 2*5 Watts in parallel )
100 Volts capacitors are usually OK for a 100 watts and anything over that is going to be fine
ok so just to be sure, if I use everywhere 2*5 watts resistors in paralel, it always equals 10 watt?

Last edited by murphythecat8; 29th December 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 29th December 2012, 11:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes IF the resistance of each is the same, it does depend on the tolerance tho, so if you have cheap resistors with +/- 10% one resistor could be +10% and the other -10% and more current would flow through the lower resistance so it will pay to check DCR with the multimeter if doing this.
Also do not forget that the total resistance is equal to 1/2 so you need to double the resistance of each to get the final result you are after

Resistors in Parallel - Parallel Resistor Network
Old 30th December 2012, 01:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
Yes IF the resistance of each is the same, it does depend on the tolerance tho, so if you have cheap resistors with +/- 10% one resistor could be +10% and the other -10% and more current would flow through the lower resistance so it will pay to check DCR with the multimeter if doing this.
Also do not forget that the total resistance is equal to 1/2 so you need to double the resistance of each to get the final result you are after

Resistors in Parallel - Parallel Resistor Network
okay thanks, but ill go with Mills. they have 12 watt.
12 W will be fine for my needs right?
Old 30th December 2012, 02:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

12 Watts is fine

Hide this!Advertise here!