Intentionally Coloring the Sound - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2013, 04:37 AM   #21
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwavesteve View Post
It's got a 7db hump around 150Hz-200Hz, but instead of 'warm' sounding, its sounds....um.....exaggerated - like it's resonating.

Since I have no idea what freq's make for a warm, rich sounding speaker....perhaps my choice of 150-200Hz is wrong?
That's because it is, it's so under-damped that you can hear it modulate the driver's output for several octaves.

Well, the old chart I have lists 'warmth' as the 125-250 Hz octave, but one typically only needs a dB or 2 of boost like the 'smiley face' EQ of a tube SET amp produced when coupled to a high Qt driver.

Anyway, like Art advised, best overall to design ~flat and EQ to 'taste', otherwise shoot for a ~1.0 Qt in this octave.

GM
Old 5th July 2013, 06:02 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Just wanted to update this post - I finally achieved the sound I was looking for from this project. To recap, I wanted to build a small system that specifically would make FM radio sound fun. I wanted to do this for two reasons; one, I mostly listen to FM radio in my workshop and two for the unique challenge. My key goals were to have a warm, rich sound without the use of a subwoofer, make FM radio sound 'fun', and keep the whole system small.

I believe I have achieved my goals through a combination of things. For a source unit, I used a recent model Sony car headunit with a basic EQ built in. I built two .2 cu ft boxes tuned to 70Hz. I used the Dayton ND91 3.5" full-range drivers and ND20 tweeters with a 2nd order 3KHz crossover. The ND91's have impressive bass for their small size and when combined with the 70Hz port and reinforcement from the table and back walls, provides me with the warm sound I am looking for. The bass is certainly enough that I can feel it in my chest without the use of a subwoofer inside my workshop. Next, I used the Sony's EQ to increase the 100-200Hz range along with the 800-1000Hz range. I did this to add warmth and increase the presence of the midrange to combat the power tools. Additionally, I made the tweeter's l-pad to have a 1db boost over the woofer's sensitivity to add some further presence to the dull FM sound.

I think I got want I wanted...it definitely sounds warm and rich, while being able to hear the words just fine over the noise I create. FM radio now also has some increased rhythm and drive that makes it fun to listen to while working.

Hide this!Advertise here!