Tannoy HPD 385 Crossover problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I have a sound in my tweeter of HPD385 coming for sure from the crossover, cause if i lay the crossover on soft ground, no problem, but mounted on the enclosure a little kind of scratching sound comes, not always, but in some frequance range
do know how to help me, please
josef

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Not sure I fully understand :) but I think you are saying the tweeter makes this sound when the crossover is attached back in the cabinet. And the sound comes "from the tweeter".

Could the tightening of the crossover be distorting the cabinet and consequently the distorting the tweeter frame. Try loosening the tweeter fixing screws to see if it helps isolate the problem.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
:clown:

yup - common problem of generic answers :rofl:

now seriously - due fact that HPD is coaxial speaker , there is no possibility that deformation in speaker baffle is causing funny noise from tweeter

OP needs to post pictures , so we can see what type of xover he is having , so we can proceed with analysis

here it is

Thanks for your quick answers
here some pictures

Attachments

• P1180027.JPG
    P1180027.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 260
  • P1180028.JPG
    P1180028.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 233
  • P1180029.JPG
    P1180029.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 230
  • P1180030.JPG
    P1180030.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 223
  • P1180031.JPG
    P1180031.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 235
  • P1180033.JPG
    P1180033.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 114
  • P1180034.JPG
    P1180034.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 121
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
caps are good , mostly

so - knowing that there is enough info - google for rejuvenation of Tannoy xovers , and you'll find how to disassemble switches ; whatever , it's simple enough and you'll figure by your self how to do that

disassemble them ( taking enough pics here all the time , so you'll have enough info for proper re-assembling) , clean all metal parts with acetone or medical petrol (benzin), let them dry , put some vaseline on contacts , re-assemble them , put back on pcb and solder

while you there , clean all solder joints ( either with vacuum pump or solder wick) - work one by one ,and solder again

if wire ends are looking dark and brittle - either replace wires , or just short them by 5-10mm , blank isolation and solder again

that will solve intermittent contact problems

thanks its working now

hello and thanks for your good advices
I solderd all points on the crossover new, I mean I went with my soldering iron to every point and reheated, so it was melting and if there was not enough solder I put on, now its working, no cracking or strange sound
thanks
josef

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.