Recommendation for a crossover choke - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2012, 06:47 AM   #11
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post

please somebody help
you should be looking at inductors for speakers, not electronics. Small inductors for surface electronics have very low current capability.

partsconnexion, madisound, parts express speaker section, etc..
Old 25th December 2012, 08:06 AM   #12
just another
diyAudio Moderator

something like this will do the trick... 0.47 mH 14AWG Air Core 0.16Ω DCR (Coil 10) [2810] - $16.68 : SpeakerBug, capacitors, inductors, resistors, crossover parts, speaker supplies

But I second Sreten on the winding your own if you are on a budget. You can check out my blog if you decide you want to go down that path

Tony.
Old 25th December 2012, 11:04 AM   #13
pdul is offline pdul  Denmark
diyAudio Member

From your explanation of your crossover, i noticed that the coil you are talking about, is in parralel with the tweeter, and if thats the case, the DCR is not that important really
Old 25th December 2012, 11:17 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

allmost any crossoverchoke at 0,47mh will do
Old 25th December 2012, 11:21 AM   #15
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Ah that is actually a common misconception. In fact the DCR in shunt coils on tweeters IS important. The lower the better. The reason being that it is the LOW frequencies that you want to be shunted off (as you don't want them distorting and intermodulating your tweeter), so if the DCR is high then those low frequencies can't pass so easily and the coil does not do it's job as well as intended. This post Can you have sparkling treble but without sibilance has the reasoning behind this.

Tony.
Old 25th December 2012, 11:22 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

It is more important to maximize the quality of the 1,5uf capacitors.
Just my 10 cents.
Old 25th December 2012, 11:29 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ah that is actually a common misconception. In fact the DCR in shunt coils on tweeters IS important. The lower the better. The reason being that it is the LOW frequencies that you want to be shunted off (as you don't want them distorting and intermodulating your tweeter), so if the DCR is high then those low frequencies can't pass so easily and the coil does not do it's job as well as intended. This post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ml#post2605112 has the reasoning behind this.
Yes but within reason. The guy said low budget, and combined with the fact, that its already filtered thru a 1,5uf cap. It has to be a very expensive choke to make any percieved difference.
Old 25th December 2012, 11:55 AM   #18
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I wouldn't call ~$17 a very expensive choke esepcially since it has a DCR of 0.16ohms which is decently low.... yes you could go with the 20ga one at $5.00 but it has a DCR of 0.47 ohms, which I would think will start to make a difference. But obviously there is a point of diminishing returns

Attached is the sim from my crossover for my mtm's. The shunt coil is in a 3rd order network, and is 180uH and had dcr of 87 milli ohms. If I increase the DCR to 470milli ohms I get the blue curve. It may not look that significant but the is 10db more energy getting through to the tweeter at 100Hz with the higher dcr coil. That is what Simon, and Lynn in the thread I linked to are saying is really bad. In a second order (electrical) network the difference may be greater.

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: png dcr_comparison.png (32.8 KB, 57 views)
Old 25th December 2012, 12:00 PM   #19
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Actually after looking at the values of components in the crossover in the first post, I wonder whether they are correct. The lpad resistors seem to be pretty close together in value, and 1.5uF is an awfully small value!! What is your intended crossover frequency?

Tony.
Old 25th December 2012, 01:51 PM   #20
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

There is a swap meet page - whata got to trade?

Good quaitly .47 chokes would not be hard to find on DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
hi
I need two 0.47mH chokes. They need to be aircore and decently low DCR. I have a small budget. Any recommendation?

Hide this!Advertise here!