diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Zaph SR-71 On-wall?? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/226314-zaph-sr-71-wall.html)

Tehtoril 23rd December 2012 07:09 PM

Zaph SR-71 On-wall??

Hello

In a couple of days I'm moving to a smaller place, but I don't want to build myself an entirely new set of speakers, while I'm very pleased of my Zaph SR-71 monitors.
The problem is lack of space for any type of stands. There is absolute no option, that I could fit a pair of speakers 1 meter from nearest wall or even closer.
So the question is - do any of You got a clue on how can I change these speakers to an On-wall version without any audible difference for worse?
Of course I'm fully aware, that I will have to build a new enclosures from the scratch.
But i got no idea what dimensions should it have and where to put Bass Reflex port.
Same with the parts inside..

Can somebody help me, please?

sreten 23rd December 2012 07:46 PM

Hi,

You could use the reduced baffle step option shown by Zaph.

For wall mounting :

Take the front baffle and add angled sides all round, say 40 degrees
back, recalculate the reduced box depth with the extra volume to suit.

For the port I'd suggest truncating the base of the speaker and
adding a full width slot port in front of the rear baffle, though
you could build the port into the general bevel of the speaker.

No guarantees, but you need big bevels to avoid real problems.
A simpler but not as good option is big bevels left and right only.

rgds, sreten.

Bracing is complicated but probably only needed front to back,
and a couple of very effective sections in the long slot port.

Silent Screamer 23rd December 2012 11:03 PM

Are you talking something that might look like the old Klipsch SS1?(without the side drivers)

I was thinking of something like that for my rears mounted on the wall.

ODougbo 24th December 2012 08:27 AM

I built a pair of SR-71s (kit) but my pair didn't sound right, if fact they were down right awful :t_ache: I wrote to MS and sent pics; there were no mistakes and followed the plans (except walls were lined with sheet lead??)

However I've heard other pairs that sounded great, amazing really. Point is - I'd be very weary of changing the box parameters; I have read some other folks were also concerned about re-designing the cabinet shape.

Silent Screamer 24th December 2012 11:02 AM

You wouldn't necessarily need to alter your existing cabinet if it now works, you could just add triangles to the sides that aren't structurally part of the speaker.

tvrgeek 24th December 2012 11:54 AM

Prototype, prototype, prototype.

What can you do with the front wall? In one of my rooms, I have 4 x 6 foot 2 inch compressed FG absorbers. The effect on imaging and balance is hard to explain. I wish I could do it in my main room.

ODougbo 24th December 2012 05:06 PM

A good place to start is the same box & port size, but down fire the port (vs. the back).

Round over all the front edges, with large round over bit.

I don't think you want to have a front port, might pick up too much middle from the back of the speaker (driver inside).

ODougbo 25th December 2012 09:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I wish I had another set of SR71 drivers/xo's and could take another crack at building boxes. [I don't have these anymore]

So here is a thought for front ports - you can add them to the sides of your box.

And/or get fancy and make flare ports (second pic) - I've done this a few times - it seems to lower the bass.

Tehtoril 26th December 2012 05:36 PM

So, we got front BR port vs down firing one. And i have doubts..
Are You sure, that ports on bottom walls won't add too much bass while hanging on a wall?
Do not get me wrong, I'm not saying, that You're not right. I just haven't got any occasion to hear any wall-mounted speakers with ports on the bottom..

sreten 26th December 2012 05:55 PM

Hi, there are no real issues with using ports for wall mounted speakers, rgds, sreten.