Speakers For Heavy Metal ? What Matters ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2012, 07:44 AM   #11
diyAudio Member
 
wolf_teeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Indiana
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
OH ? I took it for granted that a good 3-way was needed
Being that metal can contain organs, piano, harpsichord, bells, chimes, violins, or even a full orchestra- yep- I stand by my 3-way suggestion.

For example- something like Nightwish's 'Dark Passion Play' Special Edition really can tax a speaker, a low-wattage amp, or something with a higher noise floor. The Epic piece at the beginning (The Poet and the Pendulum) of DPP has a large dynamic range. I've had it resolve very well on my 'Attitude' reference pair.

Later,
Wolf
__________________
Photobucket picture pages: http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more
Writeups/thoughts/blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 08:10 AM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
blakkshepeaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Country Victoria Australia
Thanks all for your input!

I am getting the 3 way idea.
I like the idea of the neat, clean 10-12" dual concentric but the budget (and available space) allows for a 3way, maybe featuring the (comparitively affordable in OZ) Peerless 12" sub, the eminence 6 or 8 midrange and a ribbon tweeter.

I will cost a few options and present to my client tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

Kind Regards,
blakkbetty
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 08:30 AM   #13
DeonC is offline DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member
 
DeonC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kimberley, South-Africa
Hi blakkparade

Being a metalhead (and basshead) myself, albeit that I listen to a lot of other types of music too (from classical, to blues, vocal, just about everything), speaking purely as a metalhead, I would seriously vote for a Karlson cabinet. It has to the slam to make metal really great.

Enjoy,
Deon
__________________
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Have a look at my favorite thread: Interesting YouTube video clips
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 08:39 AM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
Moondog55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norlane; Geelong: Victoria: Australia
Maybe keeping to Eminence drivers could work

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_CB15.pdf


Not too shabby if 55Hz is low enough
__________________
QUOTE" The more I know, the more I know, I know (insert maniacal laugh >here<) NOTHING"

Last edited by Moondog55; 23rd December 2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Sticky keyboard Whoops
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 08:50 AM   #15
diyAudio Member
 
Moondog55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norlane; Geelong: Victoria: Australia
I think essential Audio have a few of the big Peerless woofers left in stock

Might be worth looking at as the graph looks like they would be relatively easy to design the XO for

http://www.essentialaudio.com.au/pdf...ess_830670.pdf
__________________
QUOTE" The more I know, the more I know, I know (insert maniacal laugh >here<) NOTHING"
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:10 AM   #16
diyAudio Member
 
Saturnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
I listen to most types of music but metal, especially doom and death metal is my favorites, for speakers I have Fostex FE206E in a FE208Esigma recommended BLH which is perfect for most types of music but especially suited for metal with it's specific need for excellent mid-bass performance as well as a forgiving high range that can tame the regrettably frequent mastering mistakes in the treble range and inferior recordings in general as many metal records sound like they were recorded in a random rehearsal studio or living room, and not a proper recording studio.

Giving the size of my listening room a dedicated sub to assist the horns isn't really needed or wanted but it could be in your case. If it's needed I'd recommend one made from several smaller drivers, like 8", instead of larger drivers in order to keep up with the dynamic capability of the horns. Maybe a servo driven sub but simple L-R compensation to reach the subs would work too.

I plan to try some Lowthers at some point. But you all know how plans go...

Last edited by Saturnus; 23rd December 2012 at 09:20 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:53 AM   #17
diyAudio Member
 
blakkshepeaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Country Victoria Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeonC View Post
Hi blakkparade

Being a metalhead (and basshead) myself, albeit that I listen to a lot of other types of music too (from classical, to blues, vocal, just about everything), speaking purely as a metalhead, I would seriously vote for a Karlson cabinet. It has to the slam to make metal really great.

Enjoy,
Deon
Thanks Deon, I have been looking at Karlsons with interest for some time. I am not confident though that there is a viable and reliable design methodology for them. I wouldn't mind messing around for my own education but I have to nail this for my client so I feel I should stick to things I already know how to do!

Kind regards,
blakkensakk
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 10:02 AM   #18
diyAudio Member
 
blakkshepeaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Country Victoria Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
I listen to most types of music but metal, especially doom and death metal is my favorites, for speakers I have Fostex FE206E in a FE208Esigma recommended BLH which is perfect for most types of music but especially suited for metal with it's specific need for excellent mid-bass performance as well as a forgiving high range that can tame the regrettably frequent mastering mistakes in the treble range and inferior recordings in general as many metal records sound like they were recorded in a random rehearsal studio or living room, and not a proper recording studio.

Giving the size of my listening room a dedicated sub to assist the horns isn't really needed or wanted but it could be in your case. If it's needed I'd recommend one made from several smaller drivers, like 8", instead of larger drivers in order to keep up with the dynamic capability of the horns. Maybe a servo driven sub but simple L-R compensation to reach the subs would work too.

I plan to try some Lowthers at some point. But you all know how plans go...
You know, I hadn't really thought of this. The 'big pro driver, high power handling' thing came straight to mind, especially as the user has watts to burn. (I had never heard an SLA2 until recently. Crap! It really has some major grunt and is a seriously GOOD sounding unit. How much did you say?)

I will spin such a solution as you suggest into my proposals for tomorrow.

Thanks for all the ideas people!

Rgds,
mullofblakkintyre


p.s. Turns out my friend (and end user's Dad) has worked a bit of magic on the SLA2. Have to say, though, I am very impressed. Sounds like my old QUAD 405 but with cleaner top end and a million extra watts.

Last edited by blakkshepeaudio; 23rd December 2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added p.s.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 10:03 AM   #19
DeonC is offline DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member
 
DeonC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kimberley, South-Africa
I'm no expert, GM is the man you wanna talk to, but a K15 with a pair of Altec/GPA 515 might just be what you want. Not that difficult. But speak to GM.

Deon
__________________
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Have a look at my favorite thread: Interesting YouTube video clips
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 10:29 AM   #20
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
OH ? I took it for granted that a good 3-way was needed
I would say 2x 12" , crossed like 1.5 way, 500/1000hz
a pro PA 6" midrange, 1000/8000hz
and adding a small super tweet horn, /8000hz
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heavy Metal berkshirejd Music 65 4th February 2011 06:55 PM
Heavy Metal distortion. Stormrider Instruments and Amps 7 7th February 2008 09:52 AM
So what's Your Heavy Metal name? pinkmouse The Lounge 18 20th June 2006 08:38 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:56 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2