Speakers For Heavy Metal ? What Matters ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sreten,

For the Tarkus, would one be able to use a decent FR unit in the mid-tweet box?

Understand XO would need changes and probably dispersion would be affected.

Hi,

Why ? The mid driver is a great value driver, and there is no real advantage
to using a FR driver instead of a driver intended to be used with a tweeter.

Can be done, redesigning the x/o for other mid and treble drivers, but TBH
whats the point ? Both middle and treble drivers are excellent value IMO.

rgds, sreten.

I saw Slayer once. I knew it was going to be a good show when fights were breaking out during sound check. The Black Daliha Murder/Cannible Corpse show was great. Sepultura was great before Max left. Never saw my favorite band Anthrax though...the only time in the last 25 years they have played in my area, my friends went and "forgot" to tell me they were going.

heavy metal speakers ? you need clean good articulated bass in the 40-200hz region , no shybass speakers/drivers ; clean midrange, no need to make it standout most recordings in the genre have plenty midrange action already ( guitars , snare drum) ; for tweeters choose a metal dome , metal ribbon, compression driver , no softdome tweeters

carefull with the midrange or it will sound terrible

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
If the 10" Peerless in the Tarkus interests you, get its bigger brother, the 12". That's a real woofer! (said by a guy who usually prefers pro drivers).

Very interested to see how this project turns out.

Yes it is and all sold out here in OZ

I always thought Paul was loosing something by not using the 12 inch in the Tarkus but it is designed more for a sealed box and Paul likes to build ported I think

Since we are still OT, any of you gents mentioned Megadeth?

Sepultura before they changed their style were good (Arise, Beneath The Remains, Schizophrenia).

wow megadeth! Yeah thats metal for sure. Saw them at the wolfrun years ago, their PA sucked. Ruined a gig i was excited to be attending. Strangeley the sound of the warm up act (skindred? Or at least skin was in the name) was excellent.

Yes it is and all sold out here in OZ

I always thought Paul was loosing something by not using the 12 inch in the Tarkus
but it is designed more for a sealed box and Paul likes to build ported I think

Hi,

Bass depth versus reasonable box size is probably why the 10" is preferable.
Value too I imagine. Bigger is not always better at reduced SPL's, YMMV.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I believe the OPs client has made a decision or at least narrowed down the options

( Personal communication)

Personally I like big woofers but as Tinitus says box size vs room size is always an issue and often the main one these days
OT but relevant We are looking at buying a house and we looked at one last month Huge room set up as HT; 80 inch TV and some crappy "HTinabox" with 7 little cube speakers and a 6inch subwoofer and it sounded simply awful and the real estate agent could not understand why I asked her to turn it off

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
...Client has decided to go with the Eminence coaxs, either a 12" 2 way or a 10" plus sub...

I see I'm jumping in "late" (a LOT of posts in a short time!) but as a metalhead AND speaker engineer (including a bit of PA) I can give some unique perspective.

I think what makes a system "crankable" for metal in particular is the ability to play loud midrange without distortion. A lot of hard rock and metal have screaming guitars going on with screaming singers. There are a lot of frequencies overlapping and possibly intermodulating.

Maybe in smaller systems, like 6" 2-way home or car, the woofer is trying to move too much to replicate the bass, and this causes the midrange to poop out. Paul Klipsch was big on fighting this kind of distortion. OR, the woofer is being driven out of the linear range and the midrange is not reproducing linearly. AND probably some little 1" or smaller tweeter just cannot keep up...hence the use of horns for PA.

The first powerful speakers I built for myself had 15" woofers, E-V mid horn (2.5x14" or so) and T35? tweeter as used in the Klipschorn.

So you need BIG woofers. There is simply no substitute, whether they are in each cabinet, or you use a subwoofer (or maybe smaller woofers in a folded horn like Bill Fitzmaurice's stuff). Then you need some kind of mid/high that can keep up-usually a horn.

Past that, it is hard to comment more without more particulars about size and budget.

Eminence coaxes are probably a good choice. I might vote for 10" with the possibility to add a sub-maybe folded horn-in the future or now. This
Using coaxial products for DIY monitors and home hi-fi applications | Eminence Speaker
will interest you, as he refers to some good crossovers.

P.S. forget pillow stuffing. Fiberglass is better, and there are better materials than that. Get Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Cookbook, he measures all kinds of materials. I've had good stuffing make a really shocking difference in the sound quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.