Speakers For Heavy Metal ? What Matters ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sreten-
While there is actually a dip at 400 in that plot, I've heard the original Tarkus- in a large room with lots of power on tap playing Deftones. Paul is a personal friend of mine and I agree that this project should do most metal just fine as Paul likes quite a bit of that genre. Granted- I did not get to hear them at normal levels, but at moderate to loud they did achieve ear-bleeding levels with some slam. I don't know what they do on other stuff at lower levels.

Winslow- You'd be surprised what metal has for instruments if you include all of the metal subgenres.

chris661- MM is more of a shock-rock/industrial act. I would not call his stuff metal. A7 isn't a bad example. Slipknot is borderline to me, kinda 'nu-metal' as they say, since they even go light on material at times.

I'm really simplifying this list below, as there are multiple genres I'm omitting.
A list for those that smash things (or the arena I call 'metal'):
Meshuggah
Becoming the Archetype
Metanoia
Paramaecium (doom style)
Horde
Poems of Shadows
Amon Amarth
Sympathy
Tortured Conscience
Antestor

...throw in some cyber/industrial:
Screams of Chaos
Brainchild/Circle of Dust
Fear Factory

...orchestral:
Sonata Arctica
Nightwish

...prog-metal:
Dream Theater (and many more)

...hardcore/extreme:
Norma Jean
Converge
Zao
Hatebreed
As I Lay Dying
Lamb of God

...and nu-metal (not typically as heavy):
Slipknot
Disturbed
Tool
Killswitch Engage
5-Finger Death Punch

Just a synopsis to make sure which direction we're heading here...
Later,
Wolf

WOLF... I am concerned... no thrash metal???

Nothing wrong with using a pick to play bass.
JJ Burnel, one of my favourite bass players, uses a pick.
The problem with guitarists playing bass is the mindset.
He often use a pick , not all the time

Paul McCartney and Noel Redding come immediately to mind.
let s not forget the great Roger Waters

lol random generalisation. Plenty of guitarist play bass, myself included, and often manage just fine. At least in comparison to a bassist playing guitar...

sorry for off topic talks again ,
but nothing wrong with playing bass with pick , lots of bass players play with pick ,IMO it depends on the sound you r looking for , my point is left and right hand techniques are different from playing guitar like muting and etc . and it s not playing bass when you pick up a bass and play the rhythms or melodies on it as you play on guitars , you will miss the whole things that a good bass player can do with same thing

I'm really simplifying this list below, as there are multiple genres I'm omitting.
A list for those that smash things (or the arena I call 'metal'):
Meshuggah
Becoming the Archetype
Metanoia
Paramaecium (doom style)
Horde
Poems of Shadows
Amon Amarth
Sympathy
Tortured Conscience
Antestor

...throw in some cyber/industrial:
Screams of Chaos
Brainchild/Circle of Dust
Fear Factory

...orchestral:
Sonata Arctica
Nightwish

...prog-metal:
Dream Theater (and many more)

...hardcore/extreme:
Norma Jean
Converge
Zao
Hatebreed
As I Lay Dying
Lamb of God

...and nu-metal (not typically as heavy):
Slipknot
Disturbed
Tool
Killswitch Engage
5-Finger Death Punch

Just a synopsis to make sure which direction we're heading here...
Later,
Wolf

you missed A LOT of very good bands , kreator , cannibal corpse , death , nile , morbid angel , gojira , testament ,old metallica , obscura , cynic ,opeth , just to name a few , and i m not agree with some of the names you mentioned :D but that's only personal taste ,

Paul McCartney and Noel Redding come immediately to mind.
Paul McCartney got a lot of his chops listening to James Jamerson... the guy who played 90% of the bass in Motown. He defined what a bass player is.

One reason the generalization about guitarists who play bass is that guitarists don't know the little bass only tricks to playing. Like when not to play haha. Seriously... not playing notes is just as important as playing them, and some people just don't get that.

Whoever said you can't tune a bass an octave higher is on crack. You need different strings... its called a piccolo bass and Stanley Clarke played one built by Carl Thompson in the 70s. Check out Stanley Clarke - School Days... that's a bass, not a guitar playing the main riff.

have to say i didnt know fleas history before RCHP, but ive also never heard slap bass in punk. Psychobilly on a double bass perhaps, but not punk. Jeff Ament on a fretless obviously knows some bass tricks that a guitarist doesnt. Also i agree that less can mean more composition wise. How about Presidents of the USA? Both guitarist and bassist play modded 'guitbass' and 'basstar'. Plenty of Kyuss has guitar parts played on bass also.

What wolf calls metal i know as death metal. Anathema, napalm death, local band Bolt-thrower, Carcass, Amorphis, Diecide etc. Sepultura and that era is metal (to me) meshugga etc are just emo. After Slipknot repeated badly what Korn started, the whole image of metal went sour IMO. Pity.

Last edited:
...meshugga etc are just emo. After Slipknot repeated badly what Korn started, the whole image of metal went sour IMO. Pity.
agree with that :D
what meshugga is known for (unusual time signatures and timings,IMO) is what has been in metal already and they bring it out (so badly) and they repeat it to the point that you ll fed up ! they r way overrated IMO and as you can read in lots of critics reviews , slipknot HAD some VERY FEW moments and only in their genre but they lost it long ago .
unfortunately most of the bands that people know them as metal or atleast big names in metal scene are not that much acceptable by most metal heads , as other genres of music it s all producers and big labels that make them big as they want but they don't worth it.
i m a metalhead but sadly most of metal scene bands are just some so called angry pot heads , pretend to be angry and shouting about things they don't understand .

Last edited:
Everything you ever wanted to know about metal is covered in the tv series Metal Evolution [in Canada its on MuchMore Music in the US I think its on VH1]. Its based on an earlier documentary called Metal: A Headangers Journey which spawned the Heavy Metal Family Tree (look it up, its excellent!).

Its remarkable how many musicians they were able to interview for the series from all different variations of metal. It gave me a new and expanded appreciation of metal.

Everything you ever wanted to know about metal is covered in the tv series Metal Evolution [in Canada its on MuchMore Music in the US I think its on VH1]. Its based on an earlier documentary called Metal: A Headangers Journey which spawned the Heavy Metal Family Tree (look it up, its excellent!).

Its remarkable how many musicians they were able to interview for the series from all different variations of metal. It gave me a new and expanded appreciation of metal.
yup , a head banger journey from Sam Dunn I saw it , he has another documentary about metal called Global Metal , look it up if you didn't already see it ;)

What wolf calls metal i know as death metal. Anathema, napalm death, local band Bolt-thrower, Carcass, Amorphis, Diecide etc. Sepultura and that era is metal (to me) meshugga etc are just emo. After Slipknot repeated badly what Korn started, the whole image of metal went sour IMO. Pity.

Napalm Death and Deicide are thrash (aka speed), and I never cared for Sepultura. Agreed- Korn/Slipknot = meh.

I'm really surprised you guys don't like Meshuggah. 'Nothing' is an incredible album.

I suppose most of what I was listing in the metal list above is characterized as dark/black/scandinavian style, but some of those are actually australian bands. There are a lot of angry Aussies down there....

One thing I know we can agree on, is that nu-hardcore is typically mass chaos with riffage and intelligible screams, whereas metal has a history, and typically includes a melody and lots of technical playing ability.

Later,
Wolf

you missed A LOT of very good bands , kreator , cannibal corpse , death , nile , morbid angel , gojira , testament ,old metallica , obscura , cynic ,opeth , just to name a few , and i m not agree with some of the names you mentioned :D but that's only personal taste ,

I have some Nile, old Metallica, but I would have to say I prefer Otep to Opeth. I just listed a short list, wasn't trying to get them all.

Later,
Wolf

Anthrax
Slayer

Now that takes me back to my youth!
Saw them a few times in the late '80s. That was also the time when I lost interest in Metal. I was young and the metal scene had two major handicaps (apart from me not really being into the music): Too much beer and way too few women! ;-)
The then emerging dance scene though had weed and women galore!
An easy choice for a male in his 20s!!!

what are some of the best most dynamic recordings in this genre?

I think I would have to include Mortification's 'Scrolls of the Megilloth' in that list. Some awesome drumming going on.
BUT- some of the hardest hitting drums I've encountered was on Metanoia's 'Time to Die', the rest of the music was alright, but the drums were great.

If you want just concussiveness, I recommend Meshuggah's 'Nothing' or Living Sacrifice's 'The Hammering Process'.

Later,
Wolf

Hold the phone Guys !

Client has decided to go with the Eminence coaxs, either a 12" 2 way or a 10" plus sub.

Thanks all for your suggestions and the important information about metal's "Special Needs". I really appreciate all of your input.

Keep an eye out for the build pics when the project kicks off. (Which will be just after they finish putting up the new shed - I know, one damned thing after another...).

Kind Regards,
hotblakk desiato

Hi,

They will make a fine pair of PA speakers and if your amplifier lacks grunt,
e.g. its valve, pretty decent home speakers, if you can sort out a x/o.

Adire Audio used to be good for Eminence coax's - and way over the
top high order x/o's - try the wayback machine for old web pages :
Internet Archive: Wayback Machine

The only comment I will make is Adire certainly were not into Eminence
coax's just for heavy metal fans, quite the opposite, it was about
making the best of flea powered valve amplifiers mainly.

YMMV. PA type speakers inherently have low distortion driven at low
power at home where their sensitivity greatly helps small amplifiers.

Ply them with some juice though and all they will do is go crudely
very loud IMO, generally far too loud for domestic except parties.
Big cabinets with relatively little bass for their size, and no real
attempt at low bass, as that is not part of the PA remit.

(i.e. PA speakers are designed to go loud for big spaces and
deep bass is simply not an option they can or do support,
unless you go for massive unusual cabinets like BIB's.)

My main concern though is lack of a decent x/o design.

rgds, sreten.

There is too much OT stuff in this thread.

Last edited:
what are some of the best most dynamic recordings in this genre? I like drums at near live levels - not fond of synthesized bass drums - a good system should play pretty good peaks - I think with the right Karlson setup and 500W per channel I can do ok
IMO Decapitated 2011 album Carnival is Forever , is one of the best recordings I ever heard , not their best work , but quality is one of the best , check it out :
DECAPITATED - Homo Sum
and Gojira 2012 album L'enfant Sauvage , check it out :
Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.