Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2013, 02:30 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

One assembled and one to go waiting for damaged cap, then on to the "complete" completion!!!

The feet I am not sure of yet, may just use a base, don't know as wifey doesn't care for the ones attached.

The bass, really nice, more than I expected. More later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Triton TL whole with Feet.jpg (490.1 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg Triton TL with feet.jpg (490.1 KB, 496 views)
Old 14th February 2013, 07:46 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Robert,

Yes, the bass is very fine and I'm more impressed as I listen to my speakers. With your slot port you have a 3 dB down point in the mid 30 Hzs range. My protoype units have very nice bass impact which is a surprise for such a small enclosure.

Let us know how they sound once you have both units finished and dialed in. They should satisfy your need for bass.

Jim
Old 14th February 2013, 08:54 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Jim, I certainly will. The bass is certainly amazing and I am looking forward to hearing 2 instead of one.

I have come up with a clever idea, (I think, anyway), of integrating an interesting base with the feet. This is the prototype....

Thanks,

Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New base.jpg (529.7 KB, 467 views)
Old 20th February 2013, 04:23 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Well, one more waxing and I will be finished, finally. With the "Attack of the Inner Ear Bug" I have been demobilized for the completion. But now I am very close.

Very, very happy with the results in the listening end of these towers, first I love the shape, they fit anywhere. They make an elegantly formal statement with their height. Which, for me is ear perfect with the tweeter. Jim you did a great job with the bass extension and Jeff's crossover design make these keepers.

Thanks, for you hard work again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0863[1].jpg (408.6 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg Left speaker top finish..jpg (400.6 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg Upright TLs.jpg (362.8 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Triton base complete..jpg (605.4 KB, 163 views)
Old 20th February 2013, 08:34 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Robert,

I'm impressed with your finishing skills--that paint job is over-the-top beautiful and unique.

Has your friend Jim Walker heard/seen these?

I'm glad that you are pleased with the bass.

Jim
Old 20th February 2013, 10:48 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Jim!

This is probably one of the easiest finishes to do, since everything doesn't have to be perfect. The best is not having to use a primer, except for the inside, which I do. One just has to seal the ends of the MDF with glue and water and the Rust-Oleum flat paint does the rest.

I have sent Jim W. pics of them, but he has been following the build. Interesting, he is the one who read about the Tritons and told me I should build them....Thanks, Jim!!!

The next build will be of different drivers and a different style, but by the same designer. Instead of red undertones, I think it will be a medium brown pine stain color.

The bass is just wonderful, couldn't be better and the size, as I mentioned, is great as well.

Robert
Old 4th April 2013, 01:17 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Any Updates???
Old 4th April 2013, 02:49 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

Mr. BF,

Updates on the new build or updates on the TL?

The TL is singing right along, using the pair now for theater/2 channel. Did some Spotify listening to the new Tanghetto Release "Hybrid Tango", or least new to Spotify and really enjoyed the separation and detail the Tritons give. Prefer Source direct on the Marantz, but adding the sub in stereo mode adds even more to the bass.

At one point the new build might have been another pair, since I like them so much, but just wanted something different this time around.

Very happy with the decision to change from MTM to TL though.
Old 20th July 2013, 03:41 AM   #69
bobbob is offline bobbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Greetings,

I'm a newbie on this forum, but have been following this thread for awhile. I put together boxes for these Triton towers last week, and have just received the drivers and crossovers yesterday from Meniscus. Quality of the CSS components looks really good, and I can't wait to have them in place.

One question for anyone out there: is the 3" port just pvc pipe? I haven't done the port yet, but was assuming this. With the way I constructed the box (with a removable front baffle), I need to go with a tube.

I'll post some pics soon, but I do appreciate the work that went into the design, by Jeff, Jim, and others.
Thanks,
Bobbob

Last edited by bobbob; 20th July 2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 20th July 2013, 12:46 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

bobbob,

I prefer the look of the slot port which was detailed a few pages ago in this thread. But a slot tube is built-in during the construction.

PVC tube or cardboard mailing tube can also be used as a port tube and you can cut it to fit your desired length.

For my prototype boxes I used a round plastic port tube. A plastic tube with a flange such as the Parts Express #260-404 will suffice. That tube is 4.5 inches long so you may wish to lengthen it a bit to tune the box to a lower frequency. One possibility is to insert a cardboard mailing tube inside the 4.5" tube. Now a 3" inside diameter mailing tube will not fit inside the plastic 3" diameter tube but it will fit if you cut the mailing tube lengthwise. Thus you can fashion a tube to a variable length by moving the mailing tube inside the plastic port tube.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Griffin; 20th July 2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: correction

Hide this!Advertise here!