How to obtain Punchy Bass ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but if you want really punchy, go Karlson. A 12" or 15" Karlson will give you all the slam you could want. Go read up about it. If you buid a pair they will rock you like few others. Keep on rockin'! :D

Deon

The relatively compact K12 with an 8" or 10" driver can be really surprising WRT punch. I'd like to hear an EVM-12L in K12, that might out-punch anything but K15 or a fully-fledged horn-loaded system.

IG

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but if you want really punchy, go Karlson. A 12" or 15" Karlson will give you all the slam you could want. Go read up about it. If you buid a pair they will rock you like few others. Keep on rockin'! :D

Deon

Right on, this thread about preferred live prosound frequency response shaping looks just like a K's smoothed response: Frequency Response/Contour EQ in full range systems. - Page 3

GM

That last line 'I imagine an Altec/GPA 515-8g in a K15 could pound the breath out of you at rated power.' really got my attention.

Considering how hard a couple of NOS 15" Altec 421-8H MI drivers 'hit' at modest power in a quickly cobbled together simple 4th order BP I did recently to acoustically center up/realign after letting them sit too long face down in a hot closet, the 515-8G in a K15 would probably be overkill in a typical HIFI/HT app unless one wanted something that a little chip amp could handle.

GM

A Karlson's gain roughly ranges from the back chamber's tuning to 2 or 3 octaves above this. A high Qts woofer will often boom within that range, which is why strong motors are typically sought-after for K-use. The gain will offset the associated rise in respone, in concert with the aperture. There is often a dip or more commonly two, forming a "W" in the response above the gain region, largely unavoidable unfortunately.

IG

i think you simply need a extra and larger woofers to reinforce frequency response from 40 to 100hz , since bass drivers response starts to fall there , that should be also the case with your BW´s. i did that in my car , a added two woofers (not subs) 1 per channel , and that worked beautifully , i listen mainly to classic rock so very little content above 40hz. the woofers i added are 10"

Last edited:
A lot of it is in the recording, I think. From your examples, you like a "wet" kick. The style today is often much drier.

What do you think of this?
ZZ Top Sharp Dressed Man - YouTube

As others have mentioned, you need good timing through the 100Hz area, which means no crossovers. A woofer resonance right around there doesn't hurt, either.

One of the "punchiest" speakers ever was the JBL100. Big, very efficient, 12" woofer with a high xover to the mids. Not so great for organ music or cellos, but it got the kick drum right.

I like this kind of bass :
John Cougar: Hurts so good - YouTube

or this intro
AC/DC - Back In Black - YouTube

That is the kind of bass I like to have kicking my chest :p

i think you simply need a extra and larger woofers to reinforce frequency response from 40 to 100hz , since bass drivers response starts to fall there , that should be also the case with your BW´s. i did that in my car , a added two woofers (not subs) 1 per channel , and that worked beautifully , i listen mainly to classic rock so very little content above 40hz. the woofers i added are 10"

I had the Focal 33VX in my car as a sub and it knocked really hard. But in my room it is a little more difficult to obtain a satisfying results.

I have never heard bass sound from a car system that sound right. The car/room is too small such that it quickly becomes part of the enclosure, and with not so good acoustic behavior.

With bigger room, may be you can experiment with driver placement against the wall and against the floor.

Me too, and at ~live levels, so grab a pair of low Fs, Qts cinema sound mid-bass horn drivers + 300-500 Hz horn in some large, low tuned cab/channel and join the party! :)

GM

Attachments

• GM with Altec 'sub'.jpg
    GM with Altec 'sub'.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 180

Mass + Force and the current to drive it properly (..and we are talking about a LOT of current).

An "econowave" design with this woofer:

Celestion FTR12-4080HDX 12" Professional Speaker 1000W 294-2002

..and then a Behringer EP2000 in bridged mode to amplify it.

Here is gainphile's econowave (..but Connik Jr. - isn't exactly "punchy" music):

Econowave - YouTube

(..though far more forceful than most "hifi" woofers, the one he is using is a "limp biscuit" in comparison to that Celestion.)

"Punch":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxgRUyzgs0
..though the best part is the way the brother grinds his axe.

Last edited:
Hi,

according to you, what would be the criteria for a speaker to render very "punchy" bass (not the extreme low frequencies, but more like 100Hz), something that really punches you at every impact? <snip>

I can tell you that punch has to do with about four factors. I will tell you what I think they are for most systems.

1. The amplifiers need be be high current and output increasing current down to at least 4 ohms. 3 ohms is better. To get punchy bass with low power amps you need very efficient and large speaker systems. Generally monoblocks amps almost always will be more punchy sounding because each amp has it's own power supply. Big power supplies in amps are a must for fast bass transients.

2. Low energy storage in the speaker cabinet.

3. Drivers big enough for the room. They must move enough air for the space they are in.

4. Good transient response in bass speaker system.

5. Extension down to at least 40-50Hz as these lower frequencies form the foundation for higher bass energy.

Hi batam,

If what's missed is the leading edge, than the problem is probably not in the woofer. Wide band coherence would be the key.

And, mid-high frenquency units have lower dynamic performance than the woofer is rarely seen, but not entirely impossible.

OTOH, short decay can bring the sense of quick sounding, too. For this, the woofer-box alignment and room acoustic join in the crowded party.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.