Complete OB system based on the alpair 12p.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
hi everyone, I want to build a complete speaker system (amp included) for around 600$ for my aunt. I have the space to go OB. I would like to go active. a 2-way. 15 inch woofer and the fullrange on top. Fullrange crossed at around 250hz...
35hz and up is my requirement.
since already 350$ is gone for the alpair 12p, I have around 250$ left to get the woofer, the plate amps and the t-amps (probably?)to drive the alpairs .

Ho can I make that happen?

What would be the best 15 wpc t amp to get? what woofer? ect

thanks

Hi

May I suggest you leave the Alpair 12, as good as they are, and maybe rather use Alpair 7, since you are going to use a woofer. Or maybe go for a pair of CHR-70 with woofers. Either way you'd have more of the budget left to spend on good woofers and amps. It's no use you have something as good (and revealing) as Alpair 12s, or even Alpair 7, and the rest of the system is not up to scratch. They will brutally reveal the rest of the system's shortcomings, and thereby ruin the sound. I would suggest looking at some of the threads talking about FAST speaker builds.

Enjoy,
Deon

What nice of you to build a speaker for your aunt.

Lots and lots has been said about this very topic. Open baffle full range plus open baffle woofer.

I'll summarize some of the conclusions:

-a woofer with low qts needs too much eq in open baffle, hard to do on a budget
-a high qts woofer sounds sluggish

Either way you'll need some eq to boost the lower frequencies.

What i would suggest is 2x Eminence Beta 15 each speaker in a h-frame of some sort. Medium qts, cheap enough for 2x per side. You need the surface area.
Measure it and apply eq before amplifier.

Just make sure you have enough power because eq will eat those watts away. You can always bi-amp, this isn;t rly expensive now, chip amps work fine.
TK2050 chip for bass, make sure its 150W+
ta2020 chip for alpair

You can always add a supertweeter if high frequencies are a bit rough, which i suspect it will.

If you want no eq, no biamp etc. You need a high qts woofer. Look at goldwood woofers

Good luck

Last edited:
Download WinISD to simulate frequency response from box speakers.

Im not sure Pro woofers give what you are looking for. They need big boxes, don;t go very low and you dont need the efficiency to mate it with the alpair.

But you don;t want the ultra high xmax low efficiency woofers as well.

I suggest the dayton rs270 driver. Or maybe the peerless sls 12 inch.
Bass reflex enclosures. Unless somebody can think of a driver for closed box down to 35 hz.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I'm building 15A H frame woofers with 12P on an open baffle right now.

It is interesting to read the different opinions of the bass produced by OB 15As, most regard it as some of the best bass (quality, not extension) they've ever heard.

I've got 24" wide x 28" tall baffles for the 12Ps but I'm not sure exactly where to place the driver. The height will be dictated by my ear level, I'm just not sure how close to the edge the 12P should be placed. I've got a Mac so the Edge software is unusable.

I'm bi amping with a Behringer CX3400 > Crown D150A on the bass and running the 12Ps full range from a 2A3 amp.

Hi,

I have used and owned t-amps with the following chips: ta2020, ta2024, ta2021b, tk2050, ta2022. From these I prefer the ta2020 t-amp by far. Second comes the ta2021b. Sure this is just my opinion and may differ from yours but I can really recommend the ta2020 for the use with fullrange units, it's great. I have use mine with fullrange Audio Nirvana Super 10 units and I liked the combination very much.

The pcb's from Arjen helder are pretty good but why not settle for a ready made t-amp like this one, it's even cheaper I think: SA 36A SMSL TA2020 Tripath Class T Digital Amplifier HiFi | eBay

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi,

I have used and owned t-amps with the following chips: ta2020, ta2024, ta2021b, tk2050, ta2022. From these I prefer the ta2020 t-amp by far. Second comes the ta2021b. Sure this is just my opinion and may differ from yours but I can really recommend the ta2020 for the use with fullrange units, it's great. I have use mine with fullrange Audio Nirvana Super 10 units and I liked the combination very much.

The pcb's from Arjen helder are pretty good but why not settle for a ready made t-amp like this one, it's even cheaper I think: SA 36A SMSL TA2020 Tripath Class T Digital Amplifier HiFi | eBay
well, this all made amp must be of cheaper quality then arjen...
I will go for a ta2020 amp for sure!

Download WinISD to simulate frequency response from box speakers.

Im not sure Pro woofers give what you are looking for. They need big boxes, don;t go very low and you dont need the efficiency to mate it with the alpair.

But you don;t want the ultra high xmax low efficiency woofers as well.

I suggest the dayton rs270 driver. Or maybe the peerless sls 12 inch.
Bass reflex enclosures. Unless somebody can think of a driver for closed box down to 35 hz.

I just read the 1st page so excuse me if youve got a woofer. Visaton GF200 using only 1 of the 2 voicecoils, WinISD gives around 40hz in closed box, but what volume i do not recall. The driver may be too small for your tastes and/or slightly too expensive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.