The logic behind the Focal Diablo Utopia's SLANTED SPEAKER DESIGN?compared to flat...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

does anyone know why the flagship Focal Diablo Utopia uses a slanted design for it's woofer and a straight flat face for its tweeter ??

This thing costs 8000 USD a pair.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

DIABLO.jpg

The lower priced Electra 1008 Be, has a lower price(5000 USD PER PAIR), is not the top of the range, and uses a COMPLETELY FLAT fascia.

Could anyone please care to explain why the top of the range DIABLO uses the slanted+flat fascia while the lower range uses a completely flat fascia??

What is the logic behind the Flat tweeter and Slanted woofer design ??

Hmm,
my guess it for its effects on baffle step response, dispersion pattern, and aesthetics. Maybe it's adjustable.

-Matt
edit:
Lol! Aarvin, for some reason your choice of topics and your timing seem to attract my attention. I didn't even notice this was your thread until after replying.

Last edited:
Hi,

IMHO any technical analysis is futile, any real benefit is far
outwayed by the cost of incorporating the "tunable" feature.

Said feature is easy to understand visually for the clueless,
and that is the point rather than any technical advantages.

rgds, sreten.

What is the logic behind the Flat tweeter and Slanted woofer design ??

Steen Duelund: "All units must be in phase at all frequenzies"

This is ensured by:
- phase-coherent x-over (the "syncronig filter") (for this to work as intended, all units must be impedance corrected to DC-resistance)

- aligning the units´ acoustical centers to perform a circel from the listening point:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(also check speakers from Gryphon, Wilson, Pass, earlier B&O, B&W and several others)

Last edited:
It's time alignment of the drivers. A very common feature in technically advanced loudspeakers. The idea is to get a nicer integrated result with simpler filters. :)

No surprise that people liked the B&W DM2A floormounting speaker:

Or the more recent Sonics Anima by Joachim Gerhard:

I'm sure it IS futile here to give a technical analysis, but I like doing this sort of thing:

Quite how you reconcile that with the characteristic notch of inverted polarity on the tweeter or the order of the filter, I leave to the Interested Student.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.