Jamo Crossover question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2012, 03:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Jamo Crossover question

I have a Jamo 53518 crossover, bought fairly cheaply because most of the caps are blown. What mystifies me though is that there are 5 pairs of wires coming off the crossover, I assume possibly for a TMMW configuration, but the labelling is baffling. There is a pair marked -SQ, +SQ, -T & +T, a pair -W and another +W. So the only "non-pair" are the tweeter wires, and I have no idea what "SQ" means.

The caps are 100, 72, 10 and 6.85 uF, only the last is any good.

The inductors I've measured at ~0.725mH (2 of, one iron-cored, other air-cored) a 6mH and a 5mH (both iron-cored).

The tweeter attenuation resistor is 5W 4.7 Ohm.

I've gathered from web search that these were from 4Ohm speakers although I haven't pinned down the specific model, not that I intend using them for any Jamo speakers. They may be used for a project, or simply for spare parts.

Anyone out there know anything about these crossovers? Any info much appreciated.
Old 16th December 2012, 08:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

SQ is the term known as 'Squawker' or midrange in Europe.

You should have an input pair from the input jacks, T+/-, W+/-, and M+/- if this is a standard TMW 3-way. That's 4 sets. If there is an extra woofer, it may come right off the other woofer leads, or through another coil- that makes 5 pair.

Later,
Wolf
Old 17th December 2012, 07:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Wolf, my second attempt at a response. There appear to be no input wires, just pairs +/- for SQ and W with separated + and - for T (tweeter, one assumes).
Attached Images
File Type: bmp CrossoverwithKermitsmall4.bmp (172.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 17th December 2012, 07:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Better pic, I think. The bird ( a Princess Parrot) is curious about shiny things
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CrossoverwithKermit171212..jpg (268.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 18th December 2012, 07:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCobar View Post
Better pic, I think. The bird ( a Princess Parrot) is curious about shiny things
From left to right:
Woofer negative pair
Woofer positive pair

(You have 2 woofers in parallel.)

SQ is for squawker midrange +/- connections.

Separated connection points for T +/-.

What goes underneath the bird? Likely your input wires from the jacks on the back.
Later,
Wolf
Old 18th December 2012, 10:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The pair underneath the bird is marked -SQ, Wolf. The pair in front (with green trace) is marked +SQ. So maybe two mids and two woofers? Actually, looking at the crossover again, it's in front of me at the PC, there are 4 metal rings either side of the resistor, and these are marked -/+, and I can see solder there, so these are the inputs- but 4 of them? Another mystery!
Old 18th December 2012, 02:35 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Biwiring.
Old 20th December 2012, 09:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I found a link about Jamo speakers, possibly similar to the speakers these crossovers came from:Click the image to open in full size.
Two mids ("squarkers") and two woofers in a "push-pull" configuration.

This is the actual crossover from this model Jamo speaker:
Click the image to open in full size.

Not dissimilar to mine. Since this Jamo speaker had 4Ohm drivers, would it be possible to use both wires on my crossover to each driver if they were 8Ohm. Values are different, of course for 4Ohm compared to 8Ohm but in this instance I'd assume 2 4Ohm wired in series equals 8Ohm so crossover values appropriate.
Old 15th January 2013, 11:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The other issue I have discovered, I think, about these crossovers is that the Concerts they probably came from crossover at 150Hz, hence the large values on the bigger two inductors (although I measure them at 5-6mH, which crossover calculators suggest would give a crossover poit at around 400-415Hz with 8Ohm drivers). This latter figure would be appropriate, I think, for the Tang Band 6.5in 'subwoofer' I hope to use in next 3-way project. Thanks Bandsai, too, for the hint on why there are two sets of inputs, I'm unfamiliar with biwiring but might give it a go with this next project.

Hide this!Advertise here!