Multiway Horns with DSP Delay - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2012, 11:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Multiway Horns with DSP Delay

I just got some old Klipschorns. Close, but no cigar. DSP crossover and delay would seem to be essential to get these or any multi way horns showing what they can really do. Any thoughts/experience? miniDSP? DEQX? etc?

All thoughts most welcome.

Thanks.
Old 15th December 2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Do you have a good way to measure? Some good computer software? You'll need it.
Once you have those and a bit of experience (this forum can help), you'll be on your way.

I've done several in this way with good results.
Old 15th December 2012, 01:06 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwrecked View Post
I just got some old Klipschorns. Close, but no cigar. DSP crossover and delay would seem to be essential to get these or any multi way horns showing what they can really do. Any thoughts/experience? miniDSP? DEQX? etc?

All thoughts most welcome.

Thanks.
Why not ask the question over on the Klipsch forum.
My quick suggestions are (and these are inexpensive):
1) Make sure the bass bins are tight into the corners. Search the threads for "pipe foam"
2) Re-fresh the crossover caps (they don't need to be exotic)

good luck
Old 15th December 2012, 11:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of Speakerlab corner horns, about 20 years old. I just got a miniDSP 2x4 and hope to bi-amp, equalize and correct the delay from woofer to midrange. They need a little help sound wise.
Old 15th December 2012, 04:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluc8 View Post
I have a pair of Speakerlab corner horns, about 20 years old. I just got a miniDSP 2x4 and hope to bi-amp, equalize and correct the delay from woofer to midrange. They need a little help sound wise.
More like a lot of help! I picked some up cheap a month ago and played with them for a week using DSP. No low-pass on the mid horn stock and the break up on the mid driver in the top couple octaves is ugly. Proper xo and eq and they are listenable.

To the OP the miniDSP is limited to 7.5 ms delay IIRC. May or may not be enough to match up with the bass horn properly.

I like to use REW (free download) to look at the impulse to figure the delay. Let's say we want a 1khz xo. I'll do a measurement from 800-1200 only, with both drivers playing and the xo's in place. Here's an example of the impulse (not actual, grabbed this pic off the net): Click the image to open in full size.

See the two large peaks? The tall skinny peak would be the tweeter, and the shorter one would be the mid. Using the scale on the bottom of the graph you can figure the delay, maybe 1.1 or 1.2 ms in this case. Apply the delay to the appropriate driver and remeasure. If you have a single large peak you're done, if not you'll have to tweak the delay one way or the other.

If there aren't clearly two peaks when you measure initially, apply some delay (maybe 5ms) to one of the drivers to get clear separation. If one or both of the drivers is out of phase you'll have an initial dip in the impulse rather than a peak.

This works for me quite well. If you're not asking how to do it then nevermind
Old 15th December 2012, 09:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Mine have an 8" midrange. The more I listen to these the worse they sound to me. Plus I only have one good corner. I will work on it next week.
Old 16th December 2012, 06:19 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks people - I'll see what the Klipsch forum can suggest. 7.5ms from miniDSP is not enough I don't think. As a first approx I was going to take the path length differences between the drivers divided by 330m/s - that can't be worse than no compensation.
Old 16th December 2012, 06:34 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Oh Please dear lord, let one of those dissatisfied K-horn owners with trashed speakers get within 250 miles of New Orleans. O-:
Old 16th December 2012, 07:23 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks WithTarragon - I did indeed find good info on Klipsch forum

<meta name="description" content="Klipsch audio systems provide the true audio/video lover a wide variety of high performance loudspeakers and loudspeaker systems for music and home theater entertainment centers, including iPod speakers, multimedia s

From those discussions it seems the improvements I am after are to be had this way.
Old 16th December 2012, 07:30 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Oops - the Klipsch link didn't work. Anyone interested try the thread in:

"Updates and Modifications", Greg Oshiro 12/8/2011, "I finally got around to triamping my K-horns"

Hide this!Advertise here!