Multiway Horns with DSP Delay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got some old Klipschorns. Close, but no cigar. DSP crossover and delay would seem to be essential to get these or any multi way horns showing what they can really do. Any thoughts/experience? miniDSP? DEQX? etc?

All thoughts most welcome.

Thanks.
Why not ask the question over on the Klipsch forum.
My quick suggestions are (and these are inexpensive):
1) Make sure the bass bins are tight into the corners. Search the threads for "pipe foam"
2) Re-fresh the crossover caps (they don't need to be exotic)

good luck

I have a pair of Speakerlab corner horns, about 20 years old. I just got a miniDSP 2x4 and hope to bi-amp, equalize and correct the delay from woofer to midrange. They need a little help sound wise.

More like a lot of help! I picked some up cheap a month ago and played with them for a week using DSP. No low-pass on the mid horn stock and the break up on the mid driver in the top couple octaves is ugly. Proper xo and eq and they are listenable.

To the OP the miniDSP is limited to 7.5 ms delay IIRC. May or may not be enough to match up with the bass horn properly.

I like to use REW (free download) to look at the impulse to figure the delay. Let's say we want a 1khz xo. I'll do a measurement from 800-1200 only, with both drivers playing and the xo's in place. Here's an example of the impulse (not actual, grabbed this pic off the net):
image.php

See the two large peaks? The tall skinny peak would be the tweeter, and the shorter one would be the mid. Using the scale on the bottom of the graph you can figure the delay, maybe 1.1 or 1.2 ms in this case. Apply the delay to the appropriate driver and remeasure. If you have a single large peak you're done, if not you'll have to tweak the delay one way or the other.

If there aren't clearly two peaks when you measure initially, apply some delay (maybe 5ms) to one of the drivers to get clear separation. If one or both of the drivers is out of phase you'll have an initial dip in the impulse rather than a peak.

This works for me quite well. If you're not asking how to do it then nevermind :rolleyes:

Hey natehansen66 thanks a lot for the input. I will use your suggestions when I try to tune the speakers. I kind of wonder if the designer at Speakerlab knew what he was doing or if there was a little bit if flying by the seat of their pants. BTW
I noticed you aren't too far away from me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.