Orange County Speakers Will *Not* Sell Spiders To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they state "reasons" but I feel this is worth mentioning, as they will sell you surrounds and other stuff. They will not be saving any "repair jobs" here because I feel some folks will mess it up and wind up sending the speakers away anyway. I supplied them with several part numbers, all which were valid, and they had them, but would not sell them to me. I mentioned I was a DIY member, no dice. I am betting you guys know who I can give a spider number to and get these parts.These parts can be elusive as some of the parts were used only one speaker, the Electro Voice Sentry III woofers number 815-9062 which are modified EVM's according to Don Keele. and are getting rare. Different spider, (but most certainly this is in a currently available stiffness) different foam surround than say the DLW series. This speaker very, very light cone and VC, and therein lies the real souls of these speakers. I have the original baskets cones and coils. I do *not* wish to ship them, I have re-coned many, many units successfully, I even have the VC depth jigs for these EV's. I feel strongly that OC speakers should change this policy. Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that particular company isn't terribly friendly in many cases. If I were you, I would seek out other sources... maybe make friends with a pro repair shop within striking distance of you is one way to go... since I am not sure where you are located I can't suggest any, even privately.

Otoh, they are a retail speaker repair center and don't want to give away their income. Believe me, repair is not a big money maker even for the biggest shops. The overhead is insane, so the profit margins are not usually big. It's a job, and it's difficult times right now too...

_-_-bear

The nice thing is they are not the only company doing this are they? The guys in Arizona and Florida are very helpful. I thought I would give them a call as I have dealt with them in the 90s for recones. I'm thinking this thread is not turning me blue in the face, but it may help others.

Last edited:
Unfortunatley that company chose to do speaker repair. so high overheads and low profit is there problem.. They could make more proffit selling what the op wants at a higer profitt margin . Op then does not have to pay high transit costs both ways.... much closer to a both win situation and good busines

Unfortunately, that particular company isn't terribly friendly in many cases. If I were you, I would seek out other sources... maybe make friends with a pro repair shop within striking distance of you is one way to go... since I am not sure where you are located I can't suggest any, even privately.

Otoh, they are a retail speaker repair center and don't want to give away their income. Believe me, repair is not a big money maker even for the biggest shops. The overhead is insane, so the profit margins are not usually big. It's a job, and it's difficult times right now too...

_-_-bear

Unfortunatley that company chose to do speaker repair. so high overheads and low profit is there problem.. They could make more proffit selling what the op wants at a higer profitt margin . Op then does not have to pay high transit costs both ways.... much closer to a both win situation and good busines

It never pays to cut off your nose to spite your face. Every thread is like a mini Wikipedia,and a BBB report. A consensus of truth comes out regardless of disagreements. As an example I will do partial mixes, stem mixes, help people with their studios etc. It all makes good business sense. If I were Orange County Speakers I would change that policy before *they* are the ones turning not blue in the face, but red in the ink. These are not the days not to extend every courtesy.. I would gladly have paid $20 for the correct 2 dollar spiders than to see a thread like this one.

Umm, I have DB Keel's cell number, but I'm thinking this would be bad form. "Hey Don, you remember those Sentry III speakers you and Newman designed for EV in the 70's, the first ones to use Theil / Small numbers?, Yeah? well, what stiffness spider did you use when you modified those EVM's and BTW do you have any lying around in your kitchen? No? well I'm sorry I interrupted you dinner, but the guys at Orange County Speaker won't sell me one, sorry thanks bye"

Yes, they state "reasons" but I feel this is worth mentioning, as they will sell you surrounds and other stuff. They will not be saving any "repair jobs" here because I feel some folks will mess it up and wind up sending the speakers away anyway. I supplied them with several part numbers, all which were valid, and they had them, but would not sell them to me. I mentioned I was a DIY member, no dice. I am betting you guys know who I can give a spider number to and get these parts.These parts can be elusive as some of the parts were used only one speaker, the Electro Voice Sentry III woofers number 815-9062 which are modified EVM's according to Don Keele. and are getting rare. Different spider, (but most certainly this is in a currently available stiffness) different foam surround than say the DLW series. This speaker very, very light cone and VC, and therein lies the real souls of these speakers. I have the original baskets cones and coils. I do *not* wish to ship them, I have re-coned many, many units successfully, I even have the VC depth jigs for these EV's. I feel strongly that OC speakers should change this policy. Maybe I'm wrong.

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to touch on a few things here. EV no longer sells the original lighter weight spiders for these speakers. What they are providing now is much stiffer. We had a large stock of them for a while, but have very few remaining and need to keep them for repairs. Also, as an authorized EV service center, they do not allow the reselling of recone parts. They require us to do the repairs. This is common for most companies (JBL has the same policy, for instance).

But quite honestly, we are not in the business of selling spiders. We have been family owned and operated for 45 years and are still holding on, despite the economy. We try our best to accommodate everyone, but unfortunately that isn't possible in all cases. I'm not sure what the exact situation with Peteleoni was, but customer service and satisfaction is a huge priority for us, and I think we do a pretty good job.

Peteleoni, please accept my apologies for not being able to help you with your specific needs.

Best Regards,
Eric Sunda
Orange County Speaker, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.