audax pr170mo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
hi
I have just received the audax pr170mo. They are running wideband with a cross at 140hz just to be safe.

This is the best sound I have ever heard. After going from the fostex fe127 to the MA alpair 12p, I was in love with the alpair, but now its again a huge step up. The sound is so neutral, detailed. They are playing music effortlessly. even when I play it loud, the sound is not loud, just more present. Its a special feeling, never felt that before, but I have read a lot about how a good system is just that. Even if I put it quite loud, their is not a hinch of aggressivness in the sound, I actually like it loud, which I never do normally.
Vocals are so natural and the tone is right on. I know we often hear about the tonality, but really the tonality is so perfect that its like I had never listen to the real sound of the flute, ect...
. I am studying right now and listening to some Bach, and the cello player manipulating his instrument is so evident, its almost deconcerting, you here each manipulation. The tonality of the flute, or the piano, wow really. and it all feels totally real, natural, effortless, really as if im right there. I have never heard anything like that before.

anyways, I would like to know what people think of this driver.
What is your experience with the audax pr170mo?

The driver is good as a direct radiator yet even better in a large mid horn. It's upper range in a horn is 1.5k so it makes it easy to mate with a good 1" compression driver. The horn loading gives it more headroom then direct radiator but the pr170mo still lacks the dynamics I get with some other horn loaded cones so I do not use them except in rear ambiance channels.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
The driver is good as a direct radiator yet even better in a large mid horn. It's upper range in a horn is 1.5k so it makes it easy to mate with a good 1" compression driver. The horn loading gives it more headroom then direct radiator but the pr170mo still lacks the dynamics I get with some other horn loaded cones so I do not use them except in rear ambiance channels.
what are the better drivers in your opinion?

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Mounted on an appropriate open baffle and used within their limits it's probably at the top of midranges.

In horn they tend to be a bit less lively then other drivers because the motor isn't quite up to the task
okay, and what is their limit in your opinion? where to put the crossover?

I will be doing the pro-38 enclosure for the audax which is a irregular enclosure...

okay, and what is their limit in your opinion? where to put the crossover?

I will be doing the pro-38 enclosure for the audax which is a irregular enclosure...

Depends on a lot of factors, what woofer and treble. Using 4th order electronic crossover with no passive contour they sound best 400 to 2k (actually going into breakup at around 2.3K if I remember correctly) but you can stretch that quite a bit on top because they're good) . I've used them with a first order passive crossover over at 4k to a ASG1 99 db sensitive ribbon and it was a lot of fun. Another good match (much less $) is the little Eminence APT80 tweeter.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
ill be using the audax pr120 for the supertweeter and the beyma 12br70 for the bass.

I plan on first order at 300hz, I really want the lower possible because im going active with my beyma and want the tone to match so dont want the beyma to go in the midrange ideally.
anyways, will report soon!

Joined 2010
Paid Member

Is there a mid range horn available off the shelf or does one have to design it (Hornresp)?

......and yes I know the thread is 2 years old but I have a couple of these drivers and I want to horn mount them.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
They certainly are a nice driver Godzilla. I just can't seem to find any horn designs for them.

I have two mid range horn guides out of the JBL PRX535 which took JBL 195H drivers (Eminence LA6-CBMR) and I was hoping my Audax PR170mo's (same as JBL 165H) would fit them but the Audax's are slightly too large...

Audax - PR170MO

The Audax is not intended as a drijver for a large horn. Just use them in a closed enclosure (about 10liter) and they will work fine from 400Hz to about 3000-3500Hz, with very low distortion and sound pressure of 100db/2.83V at 1m distance. I measured them in 10liter CL-box and can confirm better than +/- 2.5db linearity...
I use original Audax units from 20years ago - I don't know about the quality of todays factory. I think these chassis were a long time ago discontinued. I even do not know about the original Audax company. Only a very few chassis can be bought today - somebody my have restarted production from the old (but very good!) designs...

Currently using 10inch Beyma with PR170MO and CP25 Beyma tweeter in 3way design... (plus a subbass horn below 80Hz)

I think Audax went bust but was later partially resurrected originally to build spares for existing speakers.
As far as I know there no plans for new designs. Shame really as I for one would like to see a modern high excursion, low distortion midwoof with an aerogel cone.
The current models sound very good but are a bit limited excursion wise.

PR170MO

Hi Charles and others...
What I want to say is, that my excellent measurement results I got from old new stock (I bought the chassis about 20-25years ago from Audax) and opened one old box recently to use the speakers finally.
Excellent results!

But I notice that there are several webpages actually, who offer PR170MO units new! As Audax originally are not in business anymore, I personally wonder where this sales stock comes from and if the newly produced units have the same quality as 20years ago from original Audax factory.

regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.