audax pr170mo - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Account disabled at member's request

Default audax pr170mo

hi
I have just received the audax pr170mo. They are running wideband with a cross at 140hz just to be safe.

This is the best sound I have ever heard. After going from the fostex fe127 to the MA alpair 12p, I was in love with the alpair, but now its again a huge step up. The sound is so neutral, detailed. They are playing music effortlessly. even when I play it loud, the sound is not loud, just more present. Its a special feeling, never felt that before, but I have read a lot about how a good system is just that. Even if I put it quite loud, their is not a hinch of aggressivness in the sound, I actually like it loud, which I never do normally.
Vocals are so natural and the tone is right on. I know we often hear about the tonality, but really the tonality is so perfect that its like I had never listen to the real sound of the flute, ect...
. I am studying right now and listening to some Bach, and the cello player manipulating his instrument is so evident, its almost deconcerting, you here each manipulation. The tonality of the flute, or the piano, wow really. and it all feels totally real, natural, effortless, really as if im right there. I have never heard anything like that before.

anyways, I would like to know what people think of this driver.
What is your experience with the audax pr170mo?
Old 15th December 2012, 01:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The driver is good as a direct radiator yet even better in a large mid horn. It's upper range in a horn is 1.5k so it makes it easy to mate with a good 1" compression driver. The horn loading gives it more headroom then direct radiator but the pr170mo still lacks the dynamics I get with some other horn loaded cones so I do not use them except in rear ambiance channels.
Old 15th December 2012, 01:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOH View Post
The driver is good as a direct radiator yet even better in a large mid horn. It's upper range in a horn is 1.5k so it makes it easy to mate with a good 1" compression driver. The horn loading gives it more headroom then direct radiator but the pr170mo still lacks the dynamics I get with some other horn loaded cones so I do not use them except in rear ambiance channels.
what are the better drivers in your opinion?
Old 15th December 2012, 02:01 AM   #4
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

I love them too.

The PHL 1120 is the Audax's muscled up brother. Just not many places in North America have them any more.
Old 15th December 2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Hylle is offline Hylle  Denmark
diyAudio Member

murphythecat8, are you listening to these midranges as fullrange, only filtered around 140Hz? no tweeter?
I have been close to buy a pair of this driver for a while, and have missed to find informations on its sound. Thank you for this infomation!
Old 15th December 2012, 03:07 PM   #6

yes, Ill add a supertweeter around 5khz, but right now they are playing fullrange. they can do
250hz to 5-6khz.
They sound real good.
Old 15th December 2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Hylle is offline Hylle  Denmark
diyAudio Member

God to hear that. I will try them out in my next speaker project.

Fantastic if they can be used almost fullrange without agressivenes!
Old 15th December 2012, 07:52 PM   #8

yes, they are playing fullrange and all I have to say its that its the best driver I have ever heard, I dont hear aggressivness but I dont play loud...
Old 15th December 2012, 10:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
what are the better drivers in your opinion?
Mounted on an appropriate open baffle and used within their limits it's probably at the top of midranges.

In horn they tend to be a bit less lively then other drivers because the motor isn't quite up to the task
Old 16th December 2012, 12:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOH View Post
Mounted on an appropriate open baffle and used within their limits it's probably at the top of midranges.

In horn they tend to be a bit less lively then other drivers because the motor isn't quite up to the task
okay, and what is their limit in your opinion? where to put the crossover?

I will be doing the pro-38 enclosure for the audax which is a irregular enclosure...

Hide this!Advertise here!