audax pr170mo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I believe Nexus makes them nowadays, but I could be wrong. They still use them in their PA designs.

But welcome in the world of light weight High Efficiency paper cone drivers. It's not all about going loud as you have figured out your self by now.

I also have a pair of these, actually the ones with the phase plug. They sound best on open baffle, like all drivers with a very thin and light paper cone do. They just don't have enough con damping to damp the backwave of a enclosure. I also had a pair of the PHL's but like the Audax more. The PHL's are more detailed, the Audax more mellow. The PHL's are also a bit nervous in compare. I think these midranges are probably the best value for money ever

The Community Light & Sound RS440 won a best-of-show award at a hi-fi show when it first came out.

It used the Audax PR17 in a horn from 400hz~1.2Khz, and an Emilar EC175 above there, and an EV 15B woofer

It was time-aligned and had a pair of Motorola piezo supertweeters above 13Khz.

They just don't have enough con damping to damp the backwave of a enclosure.

Sjef,
I use them in 10lite CL box, which is fully stuffed with a strong acoustically absorbing material. There are absolutely NO internal reflextions inside the cabinet anymore at the frequencies of interest (400-3000Hz)
This helps certainly to keep the distortions low an maintain a linear response.
Efficiency is not really effected though...

Does anyone have an adres in europe whee they sell the original flat surrounds for the PR170MO. I'm not using mine at the moment beacause the surround are starting to fall apart. This thread has got me interessted in them again, they are some of the best midrange drivers I have ever used, so time to rescue them.

Sjef,
I use them in 10lite CL box, which is fully stuffed with a strong acoustically absorbing material. There are absolutely NO internal reflextions inside the cabinet anymore at the frequencies of interest (400-3000Hz)
This helps certainly to keep the distortions low an maintain a linear response.
Efficiency is not really effected though...

well maybe I'm just an open baffle guy. Ever since I began using driver without enclosure some 15 years ago I always here nasty enclosure colourations and wrong power response with enclosed drivers, nomatter how good the enclosure is executed. They do some things better then open baffles though. Sometimes I would like to have some more lower midrange punch a closed or reflex box can provide but without the colouration.

Built club speakers with them about 25? Years ago

Used this midrange in a plan from Audax which also included the Audax pr120 bullet tweeters crossed around 6k. Still have copy of the plans somewhere. Was a tiny box and low end was around 300hz. Also used their 13" mid bass and several boxes were great in a small club dance floor about the size of a large living room. No horn loading. Used Cerwin Vega subs.

Does anyone have an adres in europe whee they sell the original flat surrounds for the PR170MO. I'm not using mine at the moment beacause the surround are starting to fall apart. This thread has got me interessted in them again, they are some of the best midrange drivers I have ever used, so time to rescue them.

Ask this guy maybe : Atelier de réparation et vente de haut-parleurs AUDAX

Used this midrange in a plan from Audax which also included the Audax pr120 bullet tweeters crossed around 6k. Still have copy of the plans somewhere. Was a tiny box and low end was around 300hz. Also used their 13" mid bass and several boxes were great in a small club dance floor about the size of a large living room. No horn loading. Used Cerwin Vega subs.

hi
im using the same combo
could you share your xo setting?
my xo sadly make the pr120 about 3db too low compared to the pr170mo....

The Audax PR-170MO is an awesome mid. I use it with a JBL 2225 woofer and a Beyma CP21-F tweeter.
Best sounding mid i ever used!
(The black Scoops).

Attachments

• 000_1202.JPG
    000_1202.JPG
    549.3 KB · Views: 319
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
As those are breakup modes above 2k8 (higher order ones), using a phase plug to work around them could be a creative excercise, it would be no ordinary phase plug. You could use the driver cleanly to 2k8 but it will beam a little.

Old thread but, yes, Audax is making new ones again, 3 versions, ( They have a special cone treatment for Nexo). Audax, is starting to add new (old and new), drivers to the linup. Maybe they are comming back for good?. They made great drivers back then, comparable to Seas, Focal and more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.