Horn Loaded 15-18" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2003, 02:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Horn Loaded 15-18"

Just wanting to know... I have a kinda ****y pa, with a pair of home made 18in celestion bass cabs... basically they dont project and sound a bit soft, the bass doesn't carry (probably because the boxes were just 6 random pieces of wood!!)... I wanted some ideas as to horn loading, but sensible practical pa ideas? i've seen a few, but many seem to be a lot of wasted space...

Cheer's

Matt
Old 11th November 2003, 09:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Using your existing Celestion drivers in a horn cabinet, you could expect 8-9dB increase in level and much punchier sound. However, due to laws of physics, low end performance of horn loading is dependant on mouth area and horn length - therefore box WILL be large. For an 18", one of the most efficient designs I have seen is the Martin WSX bin - it packs a 7ft long length into a box 22.5" wide by 42" high and 42" deep. However, due to tight folds in its design, it is only good for 150Hz top end. If you need higher crossover than this, then a design using gentle bends is needed, which takes up more space.

To DIY a design, suggest you download Hornresp from http://www.users.bigpond.com/dmcbean/

cheers
Old 11th November 2003, 10:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

led- i emailed you.
Old 11th November 2003, 12:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

yeah... that doesn't sound too bad... do you have any info/plans for those martin bins Centauri? and letting you all know... i am a beginner to this lark... but have been into it for a few years, and am a quick learner... i just need to find people with the info to learn off!!
Old 12th November 2003, 01:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

basshorn wiki links

melhuish's site
Old 12th November 2003, 12:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
do you have any info/plans for those martin bins Centauri?
i have a rough sketch and measurements i made from an actual bin - will try to scan them and post it or email to you.

cheers
Old 12th November 2003, 02:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

thanks.. that would be much appreciated... i saw the piccies on the inet, but cant find a plan... thanks anyhow
Old 12th November 2003, 11:03 PM   #8
Bull is offline Bull  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb reply

Hi,you can also have a look at this site which gives plans to build professional pa enclosures[mostly horn].
www.speakerplans.com But most horns are difficult to build because it takes time,effort and the right tools.
Also on this site there are plans for coupled cavity bandpass bass bins using 1x 18 inch which are easier to build than folded horns;give better cleaner bass than ported,and the bass travels further than ported enclosures,but not as long throw as a long throw horn like for example: the Keele W bass bin.
On Speakerplans, the 186 horn and 1850 horn are long throw and the super scoop 18 are medium throw.
Also to mention speakerplans.com has info on the right and wrong type of drivers suitable for horn loading,and advanced speaker building info,and various other tips.
As well as speakerplans.com there also is www.dancetech.com and in there pa section they talk you through building a horn loaded speaker professionally and successfully;since building a horn loaded cabinet is very different and much more complex than building a ported cabinet.
Old 13th November 2003, 02:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
since building a horn loaded cabinet is very different and much more complex than building a ported cabinet.
added emphasis very different and much more complex

but if u follow a well laid out plan that is proven,no problem!

get your wood cut perfectly at a joinery or CNC place..( i think its called cnc)
Old 14th November 2003, 01:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

led,

As promised, here are links to scanned copies of Martin WSX subs. These were measured from an actual bin. Folding design is very space efficient, but as I said before, they don't go up that high due to tight folds, however low end very good (especially six boxes per side !!!)

http://www.centauriaudio.com.au/WSX1.jpg

http://www.centauriaudio.com.au/WSX2.jpg

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!