Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2012, 11:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Roksan Darius - most ultimate Approach for Stands - other Brands wanted to know

Unfortunately I know only this brand, which have realized this approach to obtain a lowest value of parasitic noise/sonic radiation (still an unwanted effect owing the use of usual MDF pressboards instead sandwich parts for chamber cabinet resp. box enclosure).
Are there also other brands with this kind of fixing the speaker envelope ??

Also the kind of tweeter mounting with springs is of interest (never seen before and thereafter at other manufacturers).

Thank you for advices.

P.S. - for your information:
Also very special was the outdoor unit for the crossover network.
This loudspeaker was equipped with custom made transducers based on follow good known drivers:
1) KEF B200
http://www.zenn.com.sg/Marketplace%2...h/KEF_B200.JPG
TL Links
2) Seas (similar to K26FX, but only single magnet, supronyl-cone+Ferrofluid)
either
http://www.seas.no/images/stories/vi...297_25tnft.pdf
or
http://www.seas.no/images/stories/vi...253_1_dome.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roksan Darius top-front without cover.jpg (277.1 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg Roksan Darius top-front without cover-II.jpg (57.2 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg Roksan Darius top-front without cover-III.jpg (191.0 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg Roksan Darius top-front.jpg (272.9 KB, 349 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roksan Darius tweeter mounting.pdf (131.9 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 13th December 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:27 PM   #2
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Heard this spks quite a while back.... Interesting design... but soundwise good but I won't say it's jaw dropping.. IIRC external crossovers wasn't that well optimised... tweeter is supended on springs.. you can easily try this out yourself.. the bass box is sealed .. bass was quite tight, but basswise not in the same class as the Linn Isobarik, which was the one to beat at that time .. some colourations in the mids as well..
Old 16th December 2012, 01:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'd rate the Darius as something special, though I have no idea whether the stands and tweeter mountings were significant. I agree the mids were coloured, but there was something intensely alive about this speaker that really suited live jazz recordings in particular and was startlingly capable of absolutely recreating the sense of "being there". Very dynamic and forward but with impressive depth and completely free of the boxes. Bass was formidable for an 8" I thought - I suspected a hidden sub until I checked. I never heard them on voices, just hours of instrumental, but I think they'd quickly have become fatiguing on vocals. A bit like the Linn Sara - same B200 - but with imaging. However I could never disentangle the mid colouration from the electronics, which were Bryston .5B + 4B, and I know the 4B well as quite glary and grainy in the upper mid. However I'm sure some of it was the 8", every 8" mid/woofer I've ever heard in a 2 way struggles there to an extent. I believe there were several incarnations (at least 3) of the external crossover as Roksan struggled to find a better balance without losing the Darius strong lively character.

Roksan never repeated the stand or tweeter mounting arrangement of the Darius, and nobody else seems to have thought it worth stealing. Both must have added significantly to mfr. cost. Diminishing returns, at best, perhaps.
Old 16th December 2012, 08:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I believe Roksan stole the idea for tweeter mounting somewhere else...

A long time ago here in Denmark one could build a speaker named HF275 (published in the Danish magazine high fidelity I believe) and I also remember a speaker using a Thiel ceramic tweeter in a similar arrangement. This goes some 15 years back maybe later.

I hardly believe one would gain anything good from the free hanging tweeter as the tweeter is still part of the larger resonating box. Maybe it is even worse?

The stand for the speaker... No comments... ;-)
Old 16th December 2012, 09:58 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The PR2 used a more finely tuned spring mounted tweeter on the PR-2 in the mid-70s. Naim a variation more recently.

dave
Old 18th December 2012, 10:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The PR2 used a more finely tuned spring mounted tweeter on the PR-2 in the mid-70s. Naim a variation more recently.
dave
"PR-2" ?? which brand ? I have never heard before. Maybe this ?? - go to post #6 about
How should we model aperiodic boxes
and which Naim model? maybe those from attached image ? - go also to
http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/ibl_e.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg naim ibl front view.jpg (368.2 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 18th December 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 18th December 2012, 10:29 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Bass View Post
Hi,

I believe Roksan stole the idea for tweeter mounting somewhere else...

A long time ago here in Denmark one could build a speaker named HF275 (published in the Danish magazine high fidelity I believe) and I also remember a speaker using a Thiel ceramic tweeter in a similar arrangement. This goes some 15 years back maybe later.

I hardly believe one would gain anything good from the free hanging tweeter as the tweeter is still part of the larger resonating box. Maybe it is even worse?

The stand for the speaker... No comments... ;-)
This speaker?
HF-275 Helios
HIFI4ALL Forum: Et rÝr(ende) setup
HIFI4ALL Forum: Stik mig et delefilter
http://www.lcaudio.dk/images/Filters/filter2.gif

HF275 Helios modifikation - recordere.dk forum
Old 18th December 2012, 04:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes
Old 18th December 2012, 06:51 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
"PR-2" ?? which brand ? I have never heard before. Maybe this ?? - go to post #6 about
Yes. Not very many made (<100pr?)

Another picture

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PR2 Loudspeaker.jpg (31.6 KB, 58 views)
Old 19th December 2012, 06:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

the best designed and built stands that I know oe are designed and manufactured in Calgary Alberta by Noel Nolan owner of Skylan Stands. Take a look at his site and fo to the euro site to see some nice quality photos. Best regards Moray James.

Hide this!Advertise here!