8/10" worthy of ATC SUPER MID? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2012, 04:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 8/10" worthy of ATC SUPER MID?

Hi guys
I am building a big monitor(WMTMW) with dual ATC 75/150S $ SS-7100 tweeter.I would like to cross at around 400hz/3500hz-24dbLR.
So I am looking for some 8's or 10's of good quality to keep up and hopefully keep the soundstaging up.I was looking at the 10" Volt but it is only 92db and I will need at least 95db.
I was wondering if anyone has found some good drivers to fit?
thanks john
Old 11th December 2012, 05:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Volt BM2500.5

I assume you were looking at the BM2500.4. Compared to that you will lose 10 Hertz of bass extension but you do gain 3dB in efficiency.

Can't think of anything that comes close to either of these two.

That said personally I would not use the ATC mid in a WMTMW configuration since their magnet size does not allow them to be mounted close enough to each other or the tweeter.
Old 11th December 2012, 05:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have looked at it and being that I am using the Aura NS-18 for all the lows,this may work.
As far as a MTM,if one makes a plate and remove the tweeter plate,but use the small inner screws for the new plate,you will gain another 1.5cm closer for the mids.You donnot think this is enough?
Old 11th December 2012, 06:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

As far as I understand the centre-to-centre spacing of the mids should be 1/4 the wavelength of the crossover frequency. At 3500Hz that would be 2.5cm or one inch.
I don't think you'll get two ATCs close enough for even half wavelength as they are huge.
Their magnets are about 15cm in diameter.

Why are you so hung up on the 10" efficiency? The woofers you use only do 86dB/1W. How about a Volt 18"?

Last edited by Charles Darwin; 11th December 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11th December 2012, 06:06 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Doubling up the ATC dome midrange is a very poor and expensive design choice.
Its simply not needed in any sensible speaker design, and ATC don't do it.

Zaph|Audio, see Sept 2011.

Accounting for some baffle step one driver matches up with a 93 to 94
dB/2.83V bass end, and that is plenty enough to be getting on with.

rgds, sreten.

4th order L/R acoustic mid to treble would be good, driver spacing
means the lower the frequency the better, but trade that off
against the power handling of the tweeter.

4th order L/R acoustic bass to mid will be complicated by baffle
step, and 2nd order L/R acoustic might work better, and YMMV.

Last edited by sreten; 11th December 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11th December 2012, 06:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

the mids will actually be stepped back around 25mm from midbass on the baffle.
Old 12th December 2012, 09:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The problem is not crossing over from the midbass.
The thing is that you won't be able to get the ATCs close enough together with a tweeter in between NOT to cause any problems.
Old 13th December 2012, 06:59 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I often wondered about a slight offset of the tweeter.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You could offset the tweeter a wee bit but you still won't be able to the ATCs close enough together to avoid problems.
In an MTM design the center-to-center spacing determines the highest frequency at which you can cross to the tweeter.
Let's say you have the ATC but up against each other, the minimum center-to-center spacing would be roughly about 0.16m (16cm) or 2100Hz wavelength.
The sub-optimal half wavelength would mean you'd have to cross over to the tweeter at 1050Hz. You really want to spend the cash for two ATCs when you can only use 1/4 of their range?

MTM works fine but it really requires two small cone mids crossed low to a large diameter (or at least low frequency capable) tweeter.
And yes I think most commercially available MTM designs are flawed in that respect ie the mids are too far apart mostly.

If you had your eye on an MTM design due to its point-sourciness (and I don't blame you, I've got Tannoys for the same reason) think about it this way: A single ATC mid covers such an important and large part of the spectrum that you are already 90% there with just one of them.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
If you had your eye on an MTM design due to its point-sourciness (and I don't blame you, I've got Tannoys for the same reason) think about it this way: A single ATC mid covers such an important and large part of the spectrum that you are already 90% there with just one of them.
This is true and the reason the ATC dome mid is not used in MTM is just cost.

Now about the lower mid recommendation, I second Volt, but there are quite a few capable midbass, although less efficient. None beats the Volts in linearity though

Hide this!Advertise here!