The TetraHorn Project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2012, 12:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The TetraHorn Project

Side entry of compression driver?
It started in this thread which is now mis-titled. I am re-posting the diagram. Mods, please feel free to merge this as you wish. I don't know any other way to get this done. I hope this project has merit, I have been encouraged by several great members that it may. Any help will be most appreciated as I am going ahead with this. Features:

*Pyramidal horns as continuation of the natural pyramidal horn of wall/floor junction ala PWK,
*HF horn parallel with walls, hopefully less refraction,
*Reflex port at bottom apex of corner/wall giving true horn folding to LF only, leaving woofer cone direct but still horn loaded by walls
A continuation of PWK's ideas but eliminating the folded horn woofer loading except for reflex port and making the HF run parallel to walls, staggering the drivers natually via pyramidal cabinet shape.
For clarity, I am once again attaching the diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Tetrahorn Concept.JPG (70.3 KB, 131 views)
Old 11th December 2012, 03:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

This box requires but 4 identical triangles and 1 smaller one making the bottom of the horn, no bracing, most likely only gluing. To be clear, there is no need to buy or produce a separate horn, It is part of the enclosure the horn vertical dispersion and cutoff point is determined only by the size of the 5th smaller triangle, it will still remain a conical horn with the depth determining the desired throw. I did not start with the shape however, the desired characteristics are what made it this shape. Physics rears it head. Does anyone know the angle from the centroid of a regular tetrahedron to the center of any edge, because that will determine the only angle that will need to be cut on a table saw to simply glue this together? Believe it or not, it's not as simple as it seems. I'm guesstimating around 54.xx degrees?

Hide this!Advertise here!