Refoaming European Size Speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2012, 09:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Refoaming European Size Speaker

I constructed a 3 way system with an Isophon tweeter, doped Peerless midrange, and doped Son-audax woofer from a British supplier in 1979. As you might guess the woofer is now in need of new foam. The odd size might cause a problem so I seek help.
It is a Son-audax HD24S45C Modified speaker purported to be 10" but the speaker cone is actually 175mm and the outer diameter of the roll is 215mm in a total cone configuration. I really enjoy the sound of this system even though it is very old and would like to restore the woofers and replace the caps. Can anyone point me to a likely source for the foam kits?
Thank you in advance.
Old 11th December 2012, 11:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The usual suppliers have a range of surrounds. Measure the cone diameter and the inner frame diameter and see what you can find. Note that the critical diameter is the inside diameter which fits the cone. You want a good fit there. You often have some latitude with the roll OD as it can overlap the frame a little and cause no problems. Finally, I have used surrounds that are a little too big by cutting and overlapping the ends ( or butting them if you want). It may not look perfect but it works fine if the glue is flexible.

David S
Old 11th December 2012, 01:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Euro-Epay has sellers of metric sized foams. Browse there, you might find something. As DS pointed out, re-sizing a slightly larger foam to fit is certainly doable. I've done it a number of times for Gorlich woofer/mids and others.

Last edited by speakerdoctor; 11th December 2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 16th December 2012, 03:41 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default The best choice?

Thanks for your help so far.
I haven't heard from a couple of European sources but have the following choices to try the refoaming so far. Can you tell me what might work the best.
1. A foam surround that would fit the cone but the surround would have only about 1/8" of foam to glue to the speaker frame.
2. As suggested, a larger foam that would need to be cut and spliced. For this latter choice, what is the best way to make the splice and what kind of flexible glue would be best used.
Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!