Desktop Dipole Monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, i'm starting this project tomorrow.

Untitled1.jpg

I'm going to try out the whole baffle-less monitor craze.

So, they may look like they are in boxes but there are actually 1/2" slits all around them.
The reason for this is that i'm going to try for complete directivity by absorbing just enough of the rear wave to not beam,
That is just enough to have the dipole cancellation null at the sides without the additive amplitude of what frequencies will be in phase at the sides.
It will take a lot of experimenting with different thickness of foam, but I think it just might work.
For the bass driver, i'm not trying to absorb anything, the enclosure with the slits is just for rigidity.

These are the drivers i'm using.....
Dayton RS225S-8 8" Reference Shielded Woofer 8 295-366

Dayton Audio RS100-4 4" Reference Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm 295-378

The crossover will be at 750Hz, 1/2 wavelength distance between drivers, that's also the point where the bass driver is in 1/2 wavelength dipole mode.
I'll be using active DSP of course.

I'm sure these will have satisfying bass extension for the nearfield.

Last edited:
I had (still have, somewhere) a pair of Monsoon planar dipole computer speakers. Very "clean" sounding (was always tempted to try them in a "real" speaker, but haven't so far), but serious interaction with the desktop really compromised performance. You'll need to watch out for that . . .

I was thinking about exact same thing some time ago. I want use table desk as baffle for bass speakers /just holes a speakers mounted from bottom/. Plan was attach them to the wall with some adapters and just seal the hole with something soft to reduce vibration to desk. Sort of Linkwitz Orion mounting.
Off course in this case XO must be lower /cca 300/

I had (still have, somewhere) a pair of Monsoon planar dipole computer speakers. Very "clean" sounding (was always tempted to try them in a "real" speaker, but haven't so far), but serious interaction with the desktop really compromised performance. You'll need to watch out for that . . .

How the heck do those little planars get down low enough to cross over to a sub?
with a 103db output they say? hmmmm.

Well, i'm sure these will interact less with the desk and such than typical box speakers.
Anyway, they don't have to be used on the desk.
They could be used as monitors with stereo subs

I was thinking about exact same thing some time ago. I want use table desk as baffle for bass speakers /just holes a speakers mounted from bottom/. Plan was attach them to the wall with some adapters and just seal the hole with something soft to reduce vibration to desk. Sort of Linkwitz Orion mounting.
Off course in this case XO must be lower /cca 300/

You would have to make sure you are leaning over the desk or you will be in the dipole null. Oh, and watch your elbows! :D

Hey, studio. the ambiopole isn't ready yet. if you read the Supernova thread, you will see I'm having problems so, I'll let you know when it's time to come listen :)

Alright. You may have to stop here first. AJ from Soundfield Audio was here last weekend and we speaker geek'd all day. He brought his prototype 1812 to compare in my room. I keep forgetting to check your thread because I generally stay clear of the fullrange forum. ;)

I assume you've seen VV's thread about the dipole desktops?

Greg

Are you talking about gainphile?
These?
Gainphile: S11 OB - Desktop Open Baffle with Seas 8" and Tangband Full-range
I've always wanted to try this method of soaking up the rear wave with foam and let the dipole cancellation do it's job.
Everybody is hot on SL's and John k's offerings so I thought it was time to give this one a go...and I already have the drivers, wood and the mini-dsp so it's a free build :)

I'm not sure I can bring that 7 1/2' tall speaker to orlando. My flat bed truck is out of gas ;)

Hi guys

The design outlined in the first post, is that not rather more cardioid than pure open baffle. I have to say I like, because I have been comtemplating something exactly like that. My idea was simply to reduce rear radiation so that it can fit near a wall. :)

Deon

Hey Deon, I hear what your saying but I'm not trying to get a cardioid response, I'm just going to try and attenuate the beaming rear frequencies, the ones that wouldn't make it around the baffle anyhow.
I still want the dipole null at the sides.

If that's what you were saying. Now that I look at your reply again, maybe you weren't saying it was a cardioid.
I don't know, I can't tell :)

Last edited:
For a quick trial, simply keeping the nude drivers upright (by some support under the magnet) and facing you on the desk, you're ready to go.

Within the reach of an arm, you'll be suprised how good they sound in such a simple way. Of course EQ is needed, but compared to far field listening, the bass response in such a near distance would be acceptable under much less EQ. And, you'll probably forget those problems about dipole, cardioid, null... etc and enjoy the music, hehe... I did.

Have fun :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.