Desktop Dipole Monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks a lot for sharing your great and innovative project. I find the concept especially interesting with regards to controlling directivity in the mid and lower highs. Therefore I would highly appreciate if you could provide me with some more details.

- Could you please show us pics of the damping inside the frames and what kind of damping material is used?
- Can you provide us with some FR measurements showing 90-180deg as well?
- How is power handling of the system... I'm especially interested in power handling of the full-range driver. I expect the power handling of the woofer to be rather limited :)

Hey Oystein,

-I would rather not take the drivers out again because I used MDF and its cracking. I was going to do my next one with BB. But, I just used the grey packing foam, just 3/4" deep and about 1/2" wide, just enough to seal it loosly.

-I showed 90 degree FR with the rest of them, I will do 180 for you in a couple of days...I'm working constaintly these days, It's very busy in florida right now.

-Power handling is limited by bass down to 40Hz about 80db before botoming out. For the full range unit, I have it crossed at 450Hz 3rd order acoustic. They barely move at 80db...just vibrating. Ive tried them crossed at 300Hz they did about 2mm excursion 1 way at 80db.

So, that's about it. I will try to get that measurement in a couple of days.

Here is the foam. The grey stuff.

20121206_161909.jpg

And here is my little doggie...Chilly :)

20121205_185431.jpg

Maybe :) Don't know if you have looked into Keyser's cardioid project. IMO that project is quite similar to yours although he have used compression driver with WG in the highs. You will see the dispersion pattern from 0-180 degrees in post 6 - quite impressive i think.
I find your approach with the dispersion of the fullrange driver very interesting with regards to wife friendly speaker designs :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Melo Theory,
Nice project and what a cool idea to get side nulls so that the desk and monitor don't mess things up. Those are some great freq response plots. Were the measurements taken at the desk position? If so that is great because you avoided the desk surface bounce cancellation that causes a dip at about 150 to 200 Hz for all other normal desktop speakers.
This has me thinking now. I will probably use a tc9 on top and the PE buyout 6.5 in polycone woofer on the bottom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.