how to... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2012, 02:34 PM   #11
balerit is offline balerit  South Africa
diyAudio Member

My TQWP speakers do this without any fancy electronics.

http://novelbooks.weebly.com/camm-dy...dspeakers.html
Old 10th December 2012, 03:09 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorno View Post
Hi,

*1: Add 2 (mono-summed works well too)) >= 42 mS(15m) signal delayed Bessel arrays= Best as phase is slightly 'scrambled, 5-6 element arrays= good enough) visually in a straight line behind(or use a wider azimuth) the main speakers(or simpler DBA:s) wall mounted adjusted to a level near JND, i.e. at or bit higher depending on source material. FR slope = 'Pink' ~3 dB/octave: BW~60-800Hz.
Interesting idea ! Some questions:
-what's the psycho-acoustic rationale of "FR slope = 'Pink' ~3 dB/octave: BW~60-800Hz" ? Making sure you induce a simulated far reflection only in the ITD range and avoid the "filler" speakers to attract attention on them ?
- what does "visually in a straight line behind" exactly mean ? a horizontally spread array of in-wall speakers from the L to the R loudspeaker ?
- how does it sound ? Did you try it yourself ?

Thanks !
Old 10th December 2012, 03:36 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balerit View Post
My TQWP speakers do this without any fancy electronics.

Voig Pipe, DIY Tapered Quarter Wave Pipe (TQWP) loudspeaker plans - The Book Worm
lol mine too. I dont use dsp widening for music. An array is reputedly capable of throwimg a larger than life image. Im happy with a realistic size image.

The best 'electronics free' method to increase imaging clarity is the method most often quoted: speaker placement and minimal judicious use of reflective absorption.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 10th December 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12th December 2012, 07:18 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudiophile View Post
This is not what I meant. If you use such a device you are adding reverb or changing the recording quite a lot. I wondered if the original depth in the recording can be magically removed or enhanced. I guess no such device is possible?
Dipole speakers. Only for enhancing (or restoring) though, not removing, and not so much magical. :-)

I'd say from experience with my set;
#1: use dipole speakers (in a not too damped room)
#2: place woofers against the sidewalls (using an OSD placement might be even better but I'd have to build 4 extra towers/stands)
#3: use active crossovers/amplification and don't be afraid to use an equalizer (in moderation of course)
Old 12th December 2012, 10:04 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Easiest answer is get a better listening room; IMO most of our listening spaces are sub optimal
Old 12th December 2012, 11:36 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I fail to see a qualitative difference between using a reverb and using speakers which spread their sound all over the place in an only lightly (or not at all) damped room.
Except that a reverb is more controllable.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:27 AM   #17
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

To the OP, I really appreciate your curiosity and quest for learning. How about taking some advice and buying Toole's book? Many of your questions will be answered.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:54 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Ambio4YOU - Ambiophonic DSP | miniAMBIO
Old 13th December 2012, 01:07 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Working with a two-way speaker system, and the cross-over frequency equals about 2 kHz, it is possible to reflect the sound of the tweeter off of a nearby reflector that can be maybe 12" wide by 10" high towards the listening position. Assuming that you set the radius of curvature (concavity) of the reflector and the distance of the tweeter from the reflector correctly, then the sound of the speaker seems to originate from a point behind the speaker.

I've developed this reflecting method extensively.

Regards,
Pete
Old 13th December 2012, 02:37 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

A conventional speaker will place sounds in between the speakers, or behind them by reproducing cues of the original acoustic space in the recording. Most people prefer this done well and room treatment can allow you to adjust the balance of direct to reflected sound.

Dipoles increase the sound stage depth due to the strong front wall reflection - basically they are creating a secondary phantom acoustic source - imagine that the front wall were a tinted glass mirror. The sound stage is made artifically deeper. It can be a desirable effect, especially with classical music where a live source is being reproduced that is much larger than the listening room. However, in other situations where you want a focused sharp image, dipoles don't perform as well. You don't get the same pinpoint imaging - I find that I notice it with vocals and HT use quite a bit. In other words, you pay a price to achieve this effect and you have to ask if it's really what you want.

Hide this!Advertise here!