Could this be good MLTL Newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

Planing a ML-TL for my livingroom, I am new to this so I would like som comments about it and if I should change something.

Please give me input for a suitable HF driver and X overpoint.

Regards

Fredrik Sweden

Attachments

• hornresprcf15554.png
    hornresprcf15554.png
    284.2 KB · Views: 224
Bump nobody?

Hi Fredrik,

Be patient..;)

..Planing a ML-TL for my livingroom, I am new to this so I would like som comments about it and if I should change something..Please give me input for a suitable HF driver and X overpoint...

I think you understand how to use HR..You've done a good job simulating a traditional ML-TL, I did a small investigation on limits you may run into when using this Driver/Enclosure combination:

b:)

PS: I would choose additional driver(s) depending on the woofer height above the floor..
In case you intend to place the sub Driver as close as possible to the floor I would pick a XO no higher than ~145 Hz and use a LR4 LPF that would bring 250 Hz 20 dB down in order to not corrupt ear height localization, thus avoiding the the speaker image spread(localized Phantoms) to appear near the floor and giving floor heavy impression.

Attachments

• RCF_L15-554K.jpg
    RCF_L15-554K.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 168
Thanks Bjorno

I dont understand all your info i the picture. I will read it several more times today and perhaps I get somethin out of it.:)

This is supposed to be a 2-way MLTL speaker and I am hoping to have XO point at about 1500-2000Hz depending on the HF driver.

The RCF is a bit unlinear above 1500Hz could work with a 1 order lowpass filter to get rid of that 5-6db peak?

The choice of the RCF i because its for sale in the used market at a resonable price. I know there are better drivers.

Fredrik

Thanks Bjorno

I dont understand all your info i the picture. I will read it several more times today and perhaps I get somethin out of it.:)

This is supposed to be a 2-way MLTL speaker and I am hoping to have XO point at about 1500-2000Hz depending on the HF driver.

The RCF is a bit unlinear above 1500Hz could work with a 1 order lowpass filter to get rid of that 5-6db peak?

The choice of the RCF i because its for sale in the used market at a resonable price. I know there are better drivers.

Fredrik

Hi,

I would never Rec. to XO a 15” driver at that high frequency(> 1500Hz) unless a capable small coincidence driver can be found allowing to be mounted in front of the 15 “voice-coil.
If you are planning to place a conventional tweeter snugly fitting above the woofer and not folding the ML-TL to allow an enclosure to be mounted for a FR driver or a wave-guided HF speaker XO'd low( below 1kHz), placed at your ear-height: You are running into serious problems regarding the off axis power response and vertical phantom blur, i.e. no Hi-Fi IMO.

You might be helped if digging into these links, threads:

http://www.pispeakers.com/Pi_Speakers_Info.pdf

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...rectivity-vs-dipole-study-14.html#post2511045

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/103872-geddes-waveguides.html

b:)

PS: Download Xdir from Svante's Tolvan.com and check the consequences
when XO a tweeter to a 15" driver: See example:

Attachments

• Should-be-a-Wave-guided-Tweeter_less-than~1kHz-XO.JPG
    Should-be-a-Wave-guided-Tweeter_less-than~1kHz-XO.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 142

GM

Joined 2003
Hmm, this driver's specs, frequency response strongly implies it is designed to substitute for the Altec 515-8G, so the Altec 828 mid-bass horn cab or similar is ideal for it.

Regardless, its polar response should be very close to the 515's, so ~1200 Hz is the absolute usable limit and even then only if used with a 90x40 horn such as the old Altec 811 or one of its substitutes; otherwise ~900-1 kHz is the limit.

GM

Maybe I will rethink!

Would it be easier for med to go with a Fane soverign 10-300 or any ather 10" driver in a 2-way MLTL or TQWT?.:confused:

Im not at all locked to the RCF driver, the price was right but I guess the project vill be to hard for me.:(

Regards

Fredrik

Bjorno

Thanks

You seem to be good with calculating. Could you explain to me how to calculate a tqwt in hornresp. I dont seem to understand the "hornresp for dummies" regarding TQWT.

A link or a picture that tells me were S1, S2 and so on are in a TQWT.

Fredrik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.