Side entry of compression driver? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2012, 06:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Wink Side entry of compression driver?

Here is a question that is pregnant to say the least. In unity type horns midrange drivers are entering a conical style horn from somewhere other than the throat. Given theoretically a perfect cone, what are the pitfalls of having a single say 1 inch compression driver enter this way, but as close to the apex as possible and make that nasty turn? Obviously there is a price to pay for this, I do understand this will not be without consequences, my question is can this be done with a single driver ala Econowave? I once owned some VOTT 2 way boxes that did make a 90 albeit from the throat entry and via the horn. After seeing and hearing some unity horns with multiple drivers I'm wondering if it might be possible to enter a conical horn with a single compression driver in this fashion, and yes I do have an extremely good reason for wanting to do this. Am I completely nuts for asking this one?

Last edited by peteleoni; 9th December 2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 9th December 2012, 06:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

What's your extremely good reason?

You might start looking into Paralines.......
Old 9th December 2012, 06:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's a very interesting box construction idea that will be non resonant by nature and includes the horn. If this idea pans out theoretically I will have something very cool. Another part of it includes corner horn loading the port only. This speaker will have construction simplicity, high efficienty, wide bandwidth.
Old 9th December 2012, 06:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank for the Paraline tip. Because of the use of active xover, I am willing to put up with some fr irregularitys as they will hopefully be tamed by DSP. What I won't give up though, is simplicity and efficiency. This must be a two way, two driver unit. Perhaps 3 way. I once owned an EV speaker that fired the mid driver 180 into a the cab which became the horn. This is what led me to khorns, and a love for efficiency. And this idea rolling in my head for years. I probably have logged thousands of hours in these forums researching this for the last couple of years so I can ask smarter stupid questions 0-:
Old 9th December 2012, 07:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Oh, yes it will (by nature) be rather, but not exceedingly large and will have RMAF. (That means "real man appeal factor" "Excuse me dear, but I almost thought I heard you say you objected to my speakers?" (-:

This will most certainly be a DIY thing for us not a commercial venture. As soon as I have a practical idea of how best to couple the driver to the conical horn I will post a very simple line drawing. This is a corner speaker that deals with a whole slew of imaging and speaker positioning issues in a practical manner, ideal for home theater and visually stunning ( Thus the "RMAF') ;-)

Last edited by peteleoni; 9th December 2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 9th December 2012, 04:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

In case you haven't seen it, a long thread about Paralines: Square Pegs

I'm listening to Paralines I built right now mounted to a conical horn/waveguide and they're sounding pretty good. There is a lot of eq required though. There are ideas in that thread about using Paralines for vehicle apps that have the comp driver at a right angle to the waveguide.
Old 9th December 2012, 06:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks Nate, Going now.
Old 9th December 2012, 07:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteleoni View Post
Thank for the Paraline tip.
Paralines are useful for line array and multiple driver use, but are peakier than the same driver mounted on a conical horn.

The offset mid drivers in a Synergy/Unity result in an acoustical high pass filter, a good thing. An acoustical HP on a HF driver is not a good thing .

Right angle mounting of a HF driver can be done using the approach Dave Gunness used in the quad HF driver EV MT4 cabinets, (or the dual 1/2MT) but still results in a notch in the response.

Fixed broken quote
Old 9th December 2012, 10:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Paralines are useful for line array and multiple driver use, but are peakier than the same driver mounted on a conical horn.
FWIW if I was to start over I'd stick with the "traditional" Synergy design.
Old 9th December 2012, 11:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteleoni View Post
Here is a question that is pregnant to say the least. In unity type horns midrange drivers are entering a conical style horn from somewhere other than the throat. Given theoretically a perfect cone, what are the pitfalls of having a single say 1 inch compression driver enter this way, but as close to the apex as possible and make that nasty turn? Obviously there is a price to pay for this, I do understand this will not be without consequences, my question is can this be done with a single driver ala Econowave? I once owned some VOTT 2 way boxes that did make a 90 albeit from the throat entry and via the horn. After seeing and hearing some unity horns with multiple drivers I'm wondering if it might be possible to enter a conical horn with a single compression driver in this fashion, and yes I do have an extremely good reason for wanting to do this. Am I completely nuts for asking this one?
I think I have some measurements of what happens in my 'Homster' thread. The USD audio horns fire a compression driver straight in a 90 degree bend, about 5cm from the diaphragm.

As you can imagine, this creates a hell of a dip.

A Paraline might work for you, but might be over kill too. The Paraline pulls off four, count 'em FOUR bends by keeping the diameter of the horn so small, the wave can't even form.

But the Paraline *definitely* rolls off the highs a lot. But I'd rather have a nice smooth rolloff of the highs than a big fat dip.

Also check out Bruce Edgar's research on reflectors in horns, the articles are on Volvotreter's site.

Hide this!Advertise here!