Side entry of compression driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hell yes Patrick. Why not? Did you run into anything daunting? I have went over all of it bit by bit, and I can't really find a reason why this is not a very popular concept. I see no issues with a triangular conical guide when in a corner and folding only the vent via the room corners seems a no brainer to me, I call that "free" energy. The less your drivers move the better off you are. Is there any reason at all *not* to go forward with this? there some giant fly in the ointment that I am missing other that the legendary WAF bs? . Here in Mississippi we just go > "Ok honey I'll take down the speakers, I need a place to put this 10 point deer head anyway" You would be suprised how attractive big speakers become after that discussion.

Hi Pete!
There is no reason not to go forward with this, but there is a reason why corner speakers are not popular: most rooms dont have two corners suited for stereo. There will be a door, window or something else to spoil the setup. Corner speakers went out of fashion when stereo came.
Thorsten

Last edited:
Thanks Thorston. I kinda knew that, however I am thinking with the advent of HT, (and I have already witnessed this) Rooms are now being made around the screen and speakers. Lets face it, once you have made a commitment to a 100 inch or better screen, not using the corners for speakers is akin to eating flies and gagging at gnats (-: I guess I shouls start a new thread titled The TetraHorn and link here? Is that proper protocol? @Mods can we merge this if I start a new one? Thanks.

Isn't a pyramidal conical horn in fact the *very best* shape to use when fired directly from the corner/floor 8th space junction? Isn't any other shape grafted in the 8th space corner going to become a negative and cause all sorts of reflective issues at the mouth of the horn? We are after all "stuck" with this "horn" by the very walls and floor junctions of th "boxes" we live in right? I am committed to corner horns for this design, therefore I am thinking that any other horn/waveguide shape I might make the horn when fired from this or near this location will actually have *no benefit* at all, because the pyramidal shape of the corner/floor junction itself is simply going to re-guide my wave front via it's "pyramid" anyway! So why not just go ahead and keep it pyramidal at the source since it's going to wind up pyramidal when it contacts the walls/floor at any rate? My design has the walls of the waveguide/horn *parallel" to the walls to minimize diffraction. Or am I missing something key, brutal, elemental and fundamental here? Usually when something like this seems such a no brainer, there is a catch.(-: If the only catch here is that I am building a "Jurassic" style corner horn with probable wave coherency improvements, than I can live with being Jurassic. I am including my rough diagram once again for clarity

Attachments

• The Tetrahorn Concept.JPG
    The Tetrahorn Concept.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I like this idea. I also want to use the corners to try some Synergy. (Imagine that the midtweet of the Pluto is replaced by a horn and put against the wall, for a simple test).

How about making the triangular baffle one piece and moving the tweeter further to the top. The vertical coverage angle of the corner horn would be larger but you could offset this by using a line source tweeter like a DIY Heil. You won't need to bend it so much because there will be a little space behind.

My living room here has a fireplace in the corner like Bateman's which I've stared at a few times. I'm worried about making too much noise for the neighbour on that side, though.

I like this idea. I also want to use the corners to try some Synergy. (Imagine that the midtweet of the Pluto is replaced by a horn and put against the wall, for a simple test).

How about making the triangular baffle one piece and moving the tweeter further to the top. The vertical coverage angle of the corner horn would be larger but you could offset this by using a line source tweeter like a DIY Heil. You won't need to bend it so much because there will be a little space behind.

My living room here has a fireplace in the corner like Bateman's which I've stared at a few times. I'm worried about making too much noise for the neighbour on that side, though.

Hi, can you diagram what you mean? I sort of think I can't get around a compression driver and get the efficiency I require. In effect my horn *is* one piece because the other two sides are only mdf sitting against the corners of the wall, and could almost be eliminated by using sheet metal instead of wood for less diffraction if I could find a good (non peaky) way for the driver to enter from the bottom plate of the 3 sided cone instead of at the apex, which means the speaker cant sit flat in the corner as it would optimally.

I had in mind having the tweeter as the apex of the triangle that closes on the wall. But as I started drawing it I realised that it would be tricky to terminate it smoothly. I've noticed that walls in my apartment are not quite square, for instance. This would be a tricky part of the design.

Btw, AMTs have very high efficiency because of the folding. How much do you really need?

It is possible to get the diaphragm basically flush with a boundary, especially if you were to close the magnetic circuit on one one side like |] instead of like [|] . Replacement diaphragms are not to expensive.

traditional-living-room.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

modern-family-room.jpg

Here's another solution to the problem. Lower the ceiling height at the edges of the room.

I got this idea from Susanka's book "the not so big house." In the book, Susanka talks about how varying the ceiling height helps define rooms. For instance, in a lot of inexpensively built houses the ceiling height does not vary one inch; from one side of the house to the other it's the same height. Combined with the fact that 'open' floor plans are popular these days, you end up with a house that starts to look like a big empty box.

So Susanka varies the ceiling height, and that creates the perception of a room boundary without erecting a wall.

Of course, that variance also creates a perfect spot to place a corner mounted speaker.

If you really wanted to go all-out, you could probably hide the subs in the space where the ceiling is dropped.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.