Replaced speakers and results not as expected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dissi - I'll be doing some serious looking at your idea. I've never built a xover from scratch, but I've recapped a few and built some kit amps a few years ago. My first diy experience was building a Dynaco 120 amp and PAT 4 pre-amp. Both of them served me well for several years.

I just tried running a single MCM woofer with the Kenwood tweets. I tried with leaving the other woofer intact and also removing it and screwing some plywood over the opening. Did not sound good at all either way. Seems running full range doesn't suit the MCM woofer. The mids were muddy and the lows were not much better.

I think I'll try using Zaphs "mini" system as a guide and see where that takes me.

Oh lordy, I'm back again. This is what I've experimented with so far. I installed on of the MCM woofers in each box and left the tweeter intact. I removed the Kenwood woofers and sealed the "holes" up tight. I'm being kind, but they sounded awful.

Then I tried putting one Kenwood woofer in each box, but I didn't connect them, kind of like a passive radiator. The sound was better, but I don't think the MCM's like being used full range very well, or the fact that they don't match the box volume. I finally had to step away from this for a couple days to clear my head.

So, and I'm showing my ignorance here, if I use two of the MCM woofers in each box along with the tweeter, would I see any benefit from using just a Lo-pass filter and L-Pad to tame the tweeter? The woofers wired in parallel to achieve a 4 ohm load.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.