2way vs 3way, same sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
once did it with 6" Coral Flat, and Fostex planar tweeter

and driven by Quad II amps ....wow, fantastic sound
unfortunately I was missing some bass
well, thats what I thought :headbash:
now Im 'getting older' and want it back :eek::hohoho:
but only if I can have the Quad II amps too :D

a lot of mis information on this thread, I'm not one to argue. I've not spent much time on this forum, but I've been building for 35 years, 30 years ago built for a living.
I try not to post as a know it all and as I posted earlier, I don't know folks around here... isn't someone known as a resident expert of sorts. Its obvious the threads that I've posted are ignored.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
you are entitled to believe that, but is a belief only
its really a myth from old days when people had no idea about how to make a good crossover
actually, 'old days' is not so long ago ;)

a midrange crossed at 6khz is more like a fullrange with supertweeter, and a woofer helper :rolleyes:
it can sound very good too, but its a different thing
I think it does matter what we call it, how we look at it....it will have influence
hey, my opinion aint worth ****! I have never heard a good 3 way in my life, im 25 years old and just started in hifi about a year ago, but Ive based my opinion only on some posters in here. there really seem to have two really different opinion: 1. the crossover are evil , or 2. crossover, if designed right, is okay.
I have went the fullrange way, now im building a 3 way and see for myself.
but it really struck me as odd. Why Dave, with his experience, really prefer fullrange, while other as much experienced definitely prefer multi-ways... strange really.

Last edited:
Hi Murphythecat8,
2 very different schools of thought and preferences. with a single driver, you don't have crossovers, so no crossover distortion, no phase smearing and normally better imaging by having a point source.
The negatives of a single driver is complete frequency range, extension on both ends, driver frequency peaks and dips that can't be crossed out and smoothness because of cone break up at some frequency.

I didn't mention sensitivity, many full range drivers are very sensitive. I have heard great results with both, but have typically stuck with traditional designs... I very recently designed a 3 way for a buddy that has always been a single driver fanatic, he uses a Red Wine Audio 30 watt integrated and wanted to try a conventional design, we used a Scan Speak 8 on bottom, 2 Tang band 5 inch for mids (mtm) and an SB acoustics tweeter for the top, finished sensitivity will be 93. It was very difficult to come up with the parts for a speaker this sensitive, while this is common sensitivity for a full range driver.

They produced pretty big sound -- and that in my room which is not small. Many have heard them and will back that up. They won't outdo big horns + big woofers at what they do well, but they have their own assets which those cannot touch.

Believe what you believe... the truth is in the listening. This is one of many valid approaches. Not seen often enuff IMHO.

dave

Well i have 2 ears, test equipment and a microphone too ...:)

If you are running all the midbass/midrange and highs thru such a small driver the biggest issue is size, next comes dynamic compression ..

Thats what my experience tells me, thats not to say you wont like it , hell i may like it too , nearfield listening, small scale stuff , who knows ...

:)

hey, my opinion aint worth ****! I have never heard a good 3 way in my life, im 25 years old and just started in hifi about a year ago, but Ive based my opinion only on some posters in here. there really seem to have two really different opinion: 1. the crossover are evil , or 2. crossover, if designed right, is okay.
I have went the fullrange way, now im building a 3 way and see for myself.
but it really struck me as odd. Why Dave, with his experience, really prefer fullrange, while other as much experienced definitely prefer multi-ways... strange really.

Believe me there is no way for a fullrange to beat a 3 way , saying that, it's much easier to muck one up , compared to a fullrange ..

If you cant cook , nothing beats the microwave version ...:)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.