2way vs 3way, same sound? - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2012, 10:11 PM   #71
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
you are entitled to believe that, but is a belief only
its really a myth from old days when people had no idea about how to make a good crossover
actually, 'old days' is not so long ago

a midrange crossed at 6khz is more like a fullrange with supertweeter, and a woofer helper
it can sound very good too, but its a different thing
I think it does matter what we call it, how we look at it....it will have influence
hey, my opinion aint worth ****! I have never heard a good 3 way in my life, im 25 years old and just started in hifi about a year ago, but Ive based my opinion only on some posters in here. there really seem to have two really different opinion: 1. the crossover are evil , or 2. crossover, if designed right, is okay.
I have went the fullrange way, now im building a 3 way and see for myself.
but it really struck me as odd. Why Dave, with his experience, really prefer fullrange, while other as much experienced definitely prefer multi-ways... strange really.

Last edited by murphythecat8; 9th December 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 9th December 2012, 10:29 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Hi Murphythecat8,
2 very different schools of thought and preferences. with a single driver, you don't have crossovers, so no crossover distortion, no phase smearing and normally better imaging by having a point source.
The negatives of a single driver is complete frequency range, extension on both ends, driver frequency peaks and dips that can't be crossed out and smoothness because of cone break up at some frequency.
Old 9th December 2012, 10:37 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

I didn't mention sensitivity, many full range drivers are very sensitive. I have heard great results with both, but have typically stuck with traditional designs... I very recently designed a 3 way for a buddy that has always been a single driver fanatic, he uses a Red Wine Audio 30 watt integrated and wanted to try a conventional design, we used a Scan Speak 8 on bottom, 2 Tang band 5 inch for mids (mtm) and an SB acoustics tweeter for the top, finished sensitivity will be 93. It was very difficult to come up with the parts for a speaker this sensitive, while this is common sensitivity for a full range driver.
Old 9th December 2012, 11:26 PM   #74
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlub View Post
... it seems to me, we are here to help each other out, not prove what I know or you know.
I agree, but with so much latitude for different compromises head butting is bound to happen. There are lots of ways to do a valid speaker. I've tried lots of them... and keep working to stretch my envelope.

dave
Old 9th December 2012, 11:30 PM   #75
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
... Why Dave, with his experience, really prefer fullrange...
I actually prefer full-range with woofer support, but to get there you have to start with a really good full-range. And if one is on a budget you need to be able to live with that FR for a while.

dave
Old 10th December 2012, 01:21 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I actually prefer full-range with woofer support, but to get there you have to start with a really good full-range. And if one is on a budget you need to be able to live with that FR for a while.

dave
what are the good fr?

ill be able to compare ma 12p and fe127en with my multi way, i cant wait!
Old 10th December 2012, 02:21 AM   #77
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
what are the good fr?
A growing number of them. My favorite for this application are A7.3 & FF85wk

dave
Old 10th December 2012, 02:31 AM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'll be able to compare ma12p and fe127en with my multi way, i cant wait!
I enjoy my A12p's all by themselves.

jeff
Old 10th December 2012, 04:30 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
I enjoy my A12p's all by themselves.

jeff
hi
how many multi ways have you built?
Old 10th December 2012, 08:05 AM   #80
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
They produced pretty big sound -- and that in my room which is not small. Many have heard them and will back that up. They won't outdo big horns + big woofers at what they do well, but they have their own assets which those cannot touch.

Believe what you believe... the truth is in the listening. This is one of many valid approaches. Not seen often enuff IMHO.

dave
Well i have 2 ears, test equipment and a microphone too ...

If you are running all the midbass/midrange and highs thru such a small driver the biggest issue is size, next comes dynamic compression ..

Thats what my experience tells me, thats not to say you wont like it , hell i may like it too , nearfield listening, small scale stuff , who knows ...

Quote:
hey, my opinion aint worth ****! I have never heard a good 3 way in my life, im 25 years old and just started in hifi about a year ago, but Ive based my opinion only on some posters in here. there really seem to have two really different opinion: 1. the crossover are evil , or 2. crossover, if designed right, is okay.
I have went the fullrange way, now im building a 3 way and see for myself.
but it really struck me as odd. Why Dave, with his experience, really prefer fullrange, while other as much experienced definitely prefer multi-ways... strange really.
Believe me there is no way for a fullrange to beat a 3 way , saying that, it's much easier to muck one up , compared to a fullrange ..

If you cant cook , nothing beats the microwave version ...

Last edited by a.wayne; 10th December 2012 at 08:08 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!