2way vs 3way, same sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
hey, my opinion aint worth ****!

.... based my opinion only on some posters in here

thats what I meant.....just opinions, thats all, not facts, and maybe not even close

if your opinion is based on your own experiences, it will be as good as any.... until proven right or wrong ;)

as I said to you, we are all entitled to have our own opinion about it, just not claim it is a fact

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you are running all the midbass/midrange and highs thru such a small driver the biggest issue is size, next comes dynamic compression ..

It certainly won't do dynamics like some systems will, but one pays a price for that too...

As far as dynamic compression goes, it is valid to say that that is a symptom of using a voltage source amplifier. Use a current source amp and dynamic compression goes away.

Now we are back to "a loudspeaker cannot be considered independently of the amplifier (and the cable that connects them together)"

What speaker system are you using?

dave

It certainly won't do dynamics like some systems will, but one pays a price for that too...
There are other things that limit "dynamics" far more than the loudspeaker . . . clipping and compression start all the way back at the microphone, and is regularly and deliberately added at multiple places in the chain after that. Most of what passes as "dynamics" in loudspeaker demonstrations is simply playing them louder . . . which some speakers certainly can accomplish better than others. But it is often a "louder than life" loudness, and that makes the apparent "dynamics" an artifact of our hearing, not of an actual increase in "dynamic range".

Now we are back to "a loudspeaker cannot be considered independently of the amplifier (and the cable that connects them together)"
It is a lot easier to characterize a "driver" when it has a constant resistive (say 10k) input impedance :D.

It either has dynamics or it doesnt ..
All speakers "have dynamics" . . . they wouldn't be speakers otherwise. And any decent speaker will have linear dynamics up to clipping/compression, so to get equivalent "dynamic range" to a speaker that can play louder all you have to do is turn it down.

All speakers are used as part of a system . . . and in the systems that we have there are limits to dynamic peaks. If system levels are set so that 0dBfs does not drive the speaker past its limits then it will deliver the same "dynamics" as a speaker that can play louder . . . just at an overall lower level.

To say all speakers have dynamics is not totally true , yes all speakers will show dynamic changes , the rate of change and its size is whats different, For eg play a single fullrange driver at 90db and the same to a large 3or 4 way system , there is a huge difference in presentation , dynamics and weight...

There are recordings with 30db+ of dynamic range, dynamic compression will show its head from the first note , dynamic compression and noise(hash) when present will promote those to make the same comments you made previously about dynamic range and loudness ...

Dynamic range is not about loudness , systems that lack it , are the one which tend to sound loud , those that don't , the music just seems to grow and swell in volume , with an ease very similar to live music ...

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I happen to be using the 830870 as helper woofers in another speaker using the successor to the FF85k used in the MTM. The Peerless does better at the low end of the range (hence as XO on the order of 200-300 Hz -- still working on the detail of that), the Fostex better everywhere else, and it extends fairly smoothly up to 20k+.

uFonkenSET-matched-woofT.jpg

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.