Where to find bitumen sheets in the us? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2012, 02:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Where to find bitumen sheets in the us?

I am doing a removable bottom on my sealed 3-way monitors that will house the x-over components. As such I can not brace it since the crossover is in the way and I figure that the next best thing to bracing is dampening. I plan to put a layer of bitumen down on the bottom first, then mount th crossover to it, or maybe it would be better if the bitumen were attached to the outside of the cabinet to the bottom of the bottom out of sight.

Either way, I am looking for a us source of an appropriate bitumen pad or suitable material....and thoughts?

Thx
Old 5th December 2012, 02:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Try the car stereo shops. It may be sold under various brand names like "deadsheet".
Old 5th December 2012, 03:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I do not know if this material can be use in your job. "bitumen roofing material"
Old 5th December 2012, 10:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshball View Post
I am doing a removable bottom on my sealed 3-way monitors that will house the x-over components. As such I can not brace it since the crossover is in the way and I figure that the next best thing to bracing is dampening. I plan to put a layer of bitumen down on the bottom first, then mount th crossover to it, or maybe it would be better if the bitumen were attached to the outside of the cabinet to the bottom of the bottom out of sight.

Either way, I am looking for a us source of an appropriate bitumen pad or suitable material....and thoughts?

Thx
Mount the crossover in a separate box that has a cover oversized so that it closes off the opening in the loudspeaker enclosure when fastened there.
Regards,
WHG

P.S.: For various acoustic materials, visit McMaster-Carr's website: http://www.mcmaster.com/

Last edited by whgeiger; 5th December 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 7th December 2012, 11:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaker dave View Post
Try the car stereo shops. It may be sold under various brand names like "deadsheet".
Is Dynamatt a similar material...I see that is is made from butyl rubber but I think it does the same thing?
Old 7th December 2012, 12:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Anyone familiar with the rubber sheets used to ship large rolls of paper? Talking large (eg bulk newspaper) 1000kg rolls here.
Old 7th December 2012, 01:23 PM   #7
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshball View Post
Isn't "bitumen sheet" just what we call "tar paper" over here?

For something probably better I'd look at SheetBlok . . .
Old 7th December 2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
Isn't "bitumen sheet" just what we call "tar paper" over here?
No, tar paper refers to either a paper or a felt saturated with asphalt or coal tar pitch.

Bitumen sheet usually refers to a peel and stick type membrane, much thicker than tar paper. It's self adhesive and has a facer. It's used for waterproofing, eaves protection and underlay for low slope roofing. If that's what you want then go to your local building supply store. Personally though, I would consider using a peel and stick lino floor tile before bitumen sheet. Not so stinky and may actually do a better job.
Old 7th December 2012, 04:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Asphalt Impregnated Felt …

… for Low-Pitch Roof Decking is the “Bitumen Sheet” of interest here.

In its modern form, it is a relatively thick, asphalt impregnated felt used to construct built-up roof membranes. See [1] for an example of this. Coal-Tar is no longer used as an impregnate due to installer health issues.

[1]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GAFGLAS_Ply_4_Data_sheet.pdf (324.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 7th December 2012, 06:17 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Bitumin is, as far as I know, British for "tar". The stuff I have seen had a regular pattern of holes in it (to not trap air) and a peel and stick face. Frequently it is used to quiet a sheet metal chassis for electronics gear. It is good for thin metal but becomes less good for thicker wood. Multiple layers help.

I would always recommend that the stick on sheets be given a few staples around the perimeter, otherwise they tend to fall off over time.

Adding ceramic tiles, especially if a lossy glue layer is used, is also highly recommended.

David

Hide this!Advertise here!