golden ratio. I dont get it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Theres no advantage in using irrational numbers. You can use normal numbers like 3,5 and 7.

2 x an odd number is even, you just push potential issues up an octave (giving a better cahnce of killing it with damping)

And if you are getting multipliers of 5 or 7 you now have a quarter-wave line (if it was a BR) or 1/2 wl (if sealed)

2 x an irrational number is still irrational.

dave

My understanding is that the golden ratio is one of several ratios for internal dimensions of a speaker cabinet that is such that the harmonics of each dimensions resonant frequency don't double up with the harmonics of resonant frequencies produced by the other dimensions of the box. I think 1.41 was another good one. I did the calculations back in the 1980's for several ratios. You divide the distance between the two parallel walls into the speed of sound (1128ft/sec) to get the fundamental resonant frequency, and then add this fundamental frequency to itself over and over to get the harmonics (integral multiples). If the fundamental resonance was 500HZ for example, you'd have resonant harmonics at 500, 1k, 1.5k, 2k, 2.5K and so on, until any kind of damping material starts to absorb the sound energy, at which point the amplitude of the resonances will roll off. Gluing 1/4 inch thick (or more) upholstery padding to the inside walls of the enclosure (or equivalent) is perhaps the most important thing you can do though. Especially in any corners. I glue this padding to the front outside of the enclosure as well to minimize cabinet radiation and edge diffraction. Foam rubber works real well too.

Last edited:
2 x an odd number is even, you just push potential issues up an octave (giving a better cahnce of killing it with damping)

And if you are getting multipliers of 5 or 7 you now have a quarter-wave line (if it was a BR) or 1/2 wl (if sealed)

2 x an irrational number is still irrational.

dave

in practice its never going to be irrational though is it? It will always be rational and finite.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
in practice its never going to be irrational though is it? It will always be rational and finite.

Actually since the actual dimension is only close to what you intend to cut, and there are infinitely more Irrational numbers than Rational numbers, statistically you are more likely to have an irrational dimension/ratio -- no matter what the units.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Those atoms can be in an infinite possible places so that there are a finite number of them makes no difference.

The practical minimum unit of concern is a function of the highest frequency the device will reproduce.

And i'd never use MDF for a woofer enclosure.

As far as the concept of an infinity of infinities, you'd have to see the proof to realize the reality of that. Beyond the scope of the forum. Rudy Rucker has both a text book & a science fiction (White Light) book that try to get the idea across.

Integers & Rational numbers belong to Aleph nought, irrational numbers (& Reals) are part of aleph 1.

dave

Those atoms can be in an infinite possible places so that there are a finite number of them makes no difference.

And i'd never use MDF for a woofer enclosure.

As far as the concept of an infinity of infinities, you'd have to see the proof to realize the reality of that. Beyond the scope of the forum. Rudy Rucker has both a text book & a science fiction (White Light) book that try to get the idea across.

Integers & Rational numbers belong to Aleph nought, irrational numbers are part of aleph 1.

dave

The notion of length becomes ambiguous at the atomic level and beyond so how would you know you had got an irrational number? And statistically it would seem that there are more real numbers than irrational ones since the latter is a subset of the former. But you tell me the opposite is true. So your statistical argument while, it may appear true may not actually be true.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The notion of length becomes ambiguous at the atomic level and beyond so how would you know you had got an irrational number?

True.

And statistically it would seem that there are more real numbers than irrational ones since the latter is a subset of the former.

I misspoke, i meant Rational numbers not Reals (Reals = Rational + Irrational). Been a long time since i actually talked about it. The number of Real numbers is the same as the number of irrational numbers.

(i'll go back & fix that, so this post and the previous become meaningless)

dave

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Today's episode of diyaudio was brought to you by the number 1.618... and the letter "Phi"....

Cantor confindently asserted that the transcendentals were in a vast majority to the algebraic numbers and did so without exhibiting a single conrete example of a transcendental number. Mathematical Historian Eric Temple Bell said of it, "The algebraic numbers are spotted over the plane like the stars against a black sky; the dense blackness is the firmament of the transcendentals."

You guys seem to be stuck with algebraic cabinets. Anybody knocked up a "Transcendental Cabinet" yet? Can't be hard. Or do I have to do EVERYTHING round here? :D

Today's episode of diyaudio was brought to you by the number 1.618... and the letter "Phi"....

You guys seem to be stuck with algebraic cabinets. Anybody knocked up a "Transcendental Cabinet" yet? Can't be hard. Or do I have to do EVERYTHING round here? :D

Phi, the mother of all monkey coffins! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.