Eminence Coaxial Towers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought the Adire HE10.1 kit some years ago to use as surrounds for my 4 way horn HT system. Info on the cabinets and crossovers can be found here:

http://stereointegrity.com/Files/HE10-1Plans.pdf

I believe the HF driver is the APT50, but they claimed to be modified versions.
I'm not overly impressed with them, but they are OK for surround duty.

I prefer the Selenium d220ti, or the B&C DE250 even more.

I cut the dust caps off for an experiment with making an Omni directional speaker, but wouldn't recommend removing them for any other reason. Looks terrible, and leaves the gap exposed.

No deep bass, so you will need a sub. I roll them off at 80 Hz, and my subs fill in below that.

Well after a lot of thought I finally decided to invest in a pair of Selenium D220Ti's. I really hope they will be audibly better than the ASD1001.
The investment has been high!
I found the ASD1001 sounds good by itself.
However in the current set up with the stock Eminence crossover I might have liked a slightly smoother mid range at times. It's not bad but I have heard better mid range from other systems. Maybe just a crossover tweak might solve the problem but I don't have the time or patience right now. Too many projects running concurrently.

I just want to finish everything and put up my feet and start enjoying my music and stop messing with the system for some time !;)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have been following this thread with great interest. I have a pair of off-spec Beta 12CX's that have an unusually high Qts of 0.635 - this will make the cabinet very big. A design I have so far looks like this when simulated as a MLTL - discussed in this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/231951-accidental-mltl-technique-22.html#post3611662. It ended up as a 22.5 x 22.5 in x 58.5 in tall box with qnty 4 x 4 in dia vents at the bottom. Do you guys think that this is a reasonable frequency response?

368097d1377703600-accidental-mltl-technique-amltl-beta12cx-freq-1m.png

My intention was to use the CX-10 in an open baffle with a sealed box sub for the low end. Will be trying the unit with small wings to see if I can get the CX-10 to go as low as practically possible. Subs need to be crossed over as low as possible. I notice that some have said that wings affect the sound and imaging capabilities of the driver. OB panel will be about 12 inches wide with the driver at ear level. Wings to be 6 inches long.

The Selenium D220Ti arrived. I replaced the ASD1001 with the 220 without making any other changes. There is more HF but no nasties. The HF level must be too much as the 220 is more sensitive according to the data sheet. But then the horn used is different now.
Sounds good though there is some sibilance which was not there with the ASD1001. The crossover will need to be altered .
I'll take some measurements sometime later before meddling with the crossover.

..... Convinced me to order a pair of more expensive coax's......

Have you decided what to buy ? Buying something more expensive would mean that you have heard it being used elsewhere AND sounds better than what you have now? But changing the mid bass unit can also affect the sound a lot. Sibilance being another issue. You 'are' sure the more expensive unit IS better ?
I might add the sibilance isn't too bad and not heard very often . But it is there.
I guess it might show up more often on some bright recordings.
Cheers,
Ashok.

I actually have no idea lol. They'll be used in a PA fashion half the time and I'm hoping for a good overall compromise short of a synergy horn. I've been playing with different combinations of midbass/mids/waveguides lately just out of curiosity. I really like the coherency of the coax and decided to take a risk on a couple of ciare 12's. Only have a product description to go off of but I've had my eye on them for awhile and the price is relatively cheap compared to other drivers in its class.

They are on backorder though and the seos 12 with an eminence guitar speaker sounds quite nice....might stick with separates, who knows.

Yeah the sibilance isn't a huge issue and I did find that the upward curve above 10k is only seen directly on axis for the most part. I over compensated at first and dulled the sound.

Last edited:
I'm closer to implementing something ! CX10 + ASD1001 on OB, Beta 15 inch in H baffle ( because I have them !) and 12 inch sealed sub ( maybe mono for now ). Collecting all the cabinet parts now. The crossover will be passive in the beginning ( original Eminence ) . Later I'll use my Behringer active c/o to make the system active.
Been quite a while since I ran a three way active system. It was really good as I remember it.

Hi all,

I've been building a pair of beta 10cx/ASD1001 towers that are my first DIY build (besides some car audio subwoofers).

I am hoping to get some thoughts, and possible things to try to play with to improve quality of the sound. Vocals particularly aren't as convincing as I had hoped.

I am thinking maybe some further box dampening/bracing, or swapping x-over components, or tweaking port length.

I am including some images including build, REW measurements @3'.

Build specs
Eminence beta 10cx
Eminence ASD 1001 tweeter

Box:
3.0 cu bottom ported similar to a Zu Druid
Ports 2@ 3 x 5" flared end
Applied Noico 80mil dampening material
Applied Carpet padding ontop of dampening material

Bi-wired X-over (based on eminences design PXB2:2K5CX) cutoff around 2500hz
Woofer Circuit:
Jantzen Audio 2.0mH 18 AWG Air Core Inductor Crossover Coil
Dayton Audio PMPC-10 10uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor

Tweeter Circuit
Dayton Audio PMPC-3.3 3.3uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor
Jantzen Audio 0.33mH 18 AWG Air Core Inductor Crossover Coil
Dayton Audio DPR20-3.0 3 Ohm 20 Watt Precision 1% Audio Grade Resistor
Dayton Audio DPR20-20.0 20 Ohm 20 Watt Precision 1% Audio Grade Bifilar Resistor

Eminence beta 10cx asd 1001 - Google Drive

Last edited:
These two 10CX efforts by Michael Chua are worth a read:

Osprey-II Revisited (Eminence 10CX with Selenium D220ti) – AmpsLab

Osprey - Eminence Beta 10CX Coxial

I'm guessing his newer filter is second order with a 2.5kHz LCR notch on the bass to take away the peak.

Michael is a little gentleman, and will send you the schematic. Must be better than the stock simple PXB2:2K5CX Eminence filter which I traced below without the lightbulb limiter. Very nice speaker IMO.

631208d1503262427-help-wiring-crossover-pcb-eminence-pxb2-2k5cx-png

Bit like the WLM Diva:

6moons audio reviews: WLM Diva Monitor with Diva Control

Last edited:
They have their pros and cons, just like any other speaker. If you take the time to get the compression driver's path as smooth as possible, and also use a measurement mic to do a good crossover, excellent results can be achieved.

FWIW, I like the Faital 10HX230. Excellent driver.

Chris

They have their pros and cons, just like any other speaker. If you take the time to get the compression driver's path as smooth as possible, and also use a measurement mic to do a good crossover, excellent results can be achieved.

FWIW, I like the Faital 10HX230. Excellent driver.

Chris

Yes, i am using dirt cheap sb acoustics coax today and they sound very very good even though the frequency response looks a bit ragged. I would like to overcome this and thinking about buying better drivers. Seas excel large coax looks very good in the frequency response domain but they are so very expensive and do not have any low end. On a finnish website i saw that eminence cx12 with apt50 performed very well, no high end by any means but still good, and the 12” seemed to get the best off axis responses then cx10 or cx8.

Thanks for suggestion faital pro, i will look it up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.