Eminence Coaxial Towers - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2013, 09:50 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Default Beta 10CX Horn Cutoff

Eminence recommends 3.5K with the APT50. I feel that's too high for a 10". I prefer to cross lower, preferably between 1.2K ~ 1.5K.

Anybody knows what is the horn cutoff frq in the 10CX?

Regards
Mike
Old 4th January 2013, 11:17 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Chua View Post
Eminence recommends 3.5K with the APT50. I feel that's too high for a 10". I prefer to cross lower, preferably between 1.2K ~ 1.5K.

Anybody knows what is the horn cutoff frq in the 10CX?

Regards
Mike
I had the same thoughts regarding cutoff but more like 2.5K, don't know about the horn but I'm guesing cut off should be the sameish as a 10" diameter wave guide which works down to 2.5k ish:
Red Spade Audio: Waveguide shootout 2 - measurements

Crossing at this point should be ok due to the lack of lobbing due to low centre to centre distance. Not sure if the directivity will match but that is what measurement is for!
Old 5th April 2013, 01:22 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

good thread.

i was thinking about doing the same thing only trying a front/rear loaded horn on the beta drivers
Old 5th April 2013, 01:35 AM   #44
Mike B1 is offline Mike B1  United States
diyAudio Member

I have Beta 10CX. The horn is an itty-bitty teensy-weensy thing. Yeah, about 3.5 KHz.

I use a Selenium D-220Ti screwed into the back of it, sounds good.

I have also used the APT50 and tossed 'em inna trash. They do not sound good.
Old 5th April 2013, 01:41 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

The Beta-10CX and APT50 combination was used in the Adire HE10.1 kit with good results. The crossover frequency is about 1.9 khz. The schematic and layout is shown in this review from AudioXpress. http://h-audio.de/lautsprecherdaten/...dell2119-1.pdf

A better compression driver like the BMS or selenium driver could be a better performer, if you have the measurement equipment and knowledge to design a proper crossover.

However, the horn to cone transition is pretty poor in these model. As you can see in the cutaway that was posted in the design document, it goes from a ~30 degree conical through the pole piece and the short aluminum horn and has an abrupt transition to the cone / former, causing some reflections.

This design was originally used in a Fender product, I believe with a piezo driver as the tweeter and a white plastic horn (under the dustcap).

While still not perfect, something like the B&C 12FCX76 is much better (but also a ton more money).
Old 5th April 2013, 01:54 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Wiggins had the APT50 used in that kit heavily modified by Eminence. The street version is not so nice.
Old 5th April 2013, 02:12 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Actually, it was just and APT50. I feel like I can say that now Adire is no longer in business (I used to work there). It is really hard to sell "just a crossover" and so there had to be the claim of a proprietary driver.

They actually had their own internal crossover solver (based on a genetic type algorithm) that was used on that design, and so a lot of work went into it.

They also did some work on an XBL version of the beta 10CX that actually sounded a lot better (particularly through the midrange even) than the stock unit, but it never made it into production.
Old 5th April 2013, 02:18 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Really?

That Dan...

He posted some stuff about how he had to reduce the sensitivity (open air gap) dunno and change the damping of the phenolic...

It was just stock?
Old 5th April 2013, 02:49 AM   #49
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Had a kit based off the he10.1...the magnet was quite a bit larger than the apt50.
Old 5th April 2013, 03:05 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

Interesting.

This is what I had before the change to active XO, bi-amp and Selenium.

Click the image to open in full size.

APT's, Eminence XO's and LPads to tone down the tweets. All ordered from Parts Express.

Hide this!Advertise here!