Eminence Coaxial Towers - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2012, 07:55 PM   #31
Gijsch is offline Gijsch  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

to add another variation to the theme, I built a kit sold by oaudio.de, or blue planet acoustic. Eminence CX10 mixed with a celestion cdx1-1425 driver in a 60 liter cabinet.

I like them a lot. Big soundstage, tunefull but not overwhelming low end. Sometimes a little shouting on the midrange, bit dependig on the source, but not annoying to my ears.
Rock solid drivers that can whitstand prying little fingers is another strong point in my situation :-)
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:27 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Ah yes,

a bit more confusion you mean

I saw this on a German site as a replacement for the APT50 in the CT235.

How is it mounted?

William
Old 24th December 2012, 07:55 PM   #33
Gijsch is offline Gijsch  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

There's an adapterplate between lf and hf driver.
Old 30th December 2012, 05:46 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Here are some pics of the completed build. I still need to secure the wires out of the port hole and finish the cabinets, but they are functionally complete.

The sound is very impressive! I built these to replace my old Klipsch RF-7 towers that were too much speaker for my new listening room since we moved. I'll say right off the bat that these sound better than the RF-7's in stock form. The highs are not as forward as the Klipsch and the bottom end doesn't need as much amplifier "push" to come alive. They even sound great on my 2W ECL86 SET amp.

The thing I find unique about them is how much they replicate "live music". I have heard a similar statement about Tekton speakers which also use Eminence drivers. I am not sure if it is the fact that most PA systems use Eminence drivers or just the voicing of the drivers? Listening to music is definitely enjoyable and engaging again!

The best part is their ability to play ANYTHING! They are not the do-all-end-all in terms of neutrality (my Markaudio's handle that), but they do have the ability to handle all genres (unlike the Markaudio's).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (601.0 KB, 674 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (542.4 KB, 590 views)
Old 31st December 2012, 01:15 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtone View Post
The thing I find unique about them is how much they replicate "live music". I have heard a similar statement about Tekton speakers which also use Eminence drivers. I am not sure if it is the fact that most PA systems use Eminence drivers or just the voicing of the drivers? Listening to music is definitely enjoyable and engaging again!
Very cool! Engaging is important. I like speakers that make me want to dance.

It's likely the dynamics that make things sound live. I can't explain it with theory, but efficiency has always made me happier than frequency response.
Old 31st December 2012, 02:53 AM   #36
winslow is online now winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

I wonder why the eminence doesn't get much love here but the commercial designs that use the drivers get good reviews?
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:08 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow View Post
I wonder why the eminence doesn't get much love here but the commercial designs that use the drivers get good reviews?
Audiophile snobbery
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:40 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Well consider me inspired I have ordered the Beta 10 CX and ASD1001 compression driver to build a similar speaker for a friend. The selenium driver is probably better than the ASD1001 but is not very obtainable in the UK.

If anyone in the UK is interested they can be found here with unfortunately a long lead time on the Beta 10 CX:
Eminence ASD1001 1" Screw-in Throat Compression Driver 50W from Eminence 19.20 Excl VAT IN STOCK (3 Jan 2013)
Eminence Beta 10CX 57.70

Playing around in speaker workshop suggests a 3rd order filter on the woofer with a target of 3rd order rolloff at 2.5KHz and Impedance compensation on the woofer can work, I think I will have to actually measure the tweeter on the horn. Fun times!
Old 4th January 2013, 06:54 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipman725 View Post
Well consider me inspired I have ordered the Beta 10 CX and ASD1001 compression driver to build a similar speaker for a friend. The selenium driver is probably better than the ASD1001 but is not very obtainable in the UK.

If anyone in the UK is interested they can be found here with unfortunately a long lead time on the Beta 10 CX:
Eminence ASD1001 1" Screw-in Throat Compression Driver 50W from Eminence 19.20 Excl VAT IN STOCK (3 Jan 2013)
Eminence Beta 10CX 57.70

Playing around in speaker workshop suggests a 3rd order filter on the woofer with a target of 3rd order rolloff at 2.5KHz and Impedance compensation on the woofer can work, I think I will have to actually measure the tweeter on the horn. Fun times!
Sounds like a great project! I am curious what the ASD1001 sounds like as I almost used that instead.

Why 3rd order? I ask because Eminence tuned their crossover using a Spectrum Analyzer and it ended up 2nd order at 2.5KHz. When I simulated it, it came out completely flat. I am also a big proponent of K.I.S.S., so the less components in the signal path, the better!

(Unless of course you are covering up a resonance or BSC for a bad box ...)
Old 4th January 2013, 07:19 PM   #40
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm, IIRC, duplex drivers [compression driver behind woofer] need some form of 'gapped' XO, such as 3/2, to account for the woofer's extra ~90 deg of delay.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!