Eminence Coaxial Towers - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2012, 02:30 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuffwaff View Post
Craigtone,

Im also planing to build a speaker with the Eminence Beta 10CX. First I wanted to use the APT 50 driver after reading quite a lot of positive comments on a german build project (CT235 from Klang&Ton). But looking at the specs Im not sure. The ASD 1001looks a lot better and the Selenium you used even more so.

You said you got a flat response with the original Eminence values for the crossover. Was this calculated or measured?

William
The response was calculated based on the impedance and response curves of the box and the HF driver. I do plan to measure once I get them completed and will gladly share the results.
Old 22nd December 2012, 02:50 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

OK,

thanks!

William
Old 22nd December 2012, 03:17 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Ivanlukic,

I'm not sure. If you look at the specs of the selenium driver it is a lot flatter than the APT50 and high frequency extension is at least equal. But you could be right of course, specs don't tell everything.

I havent build any speakers myself for quite some time (I mean without having a ready to build project like the CT235) and I would like to do some things myself like looking for drivers, figuring out the crossovers and do some measurements. Just for fun

William
Old 22nd December 2012, 03:37 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I'm not an HT guy, more on the pro end, but I would question using eminence for HT. I definitely wouldn't suggest their compression drivers unless you are looking for relative "stability" at high SPL low(ish). IMO to get pro performance with HT (I shudder to use the word) detail BMS is the way to go but no way one could match the price.

Craig or anyone have any thoughts on that?

-Matt
Old 22nd December 2012, 03:49 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Absolutely! There are MANY, MANY better options for HF drivers out there. I have heard very good things about B&C too but that was not in the budget for me for this project. I used the Selenium based on a recommendation from a trusted friend and so far, I am very happy with the results. The nice thing is that swapping HF drivers down the road is simply an unplug & unscrew operation, so you can tweak to your hearts content! This is part of the reason I put the L-Pad on my version so I can use HF drivers of varying sensitivity and just literally ... dial them in!
Old 22nd December 2012, 04:32 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Cool design! I'll be interested in how they sound when you're all done. The CX series has been tempting me for quite a while.
Old 22nd December 2012, 06:09 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I believe that anyone who intend to build loudspeakers using cheap Eminence woofer like Beta 10CX is not aiming to achieve the utmost in linearity. The charm of these drivers lies elsewhere. Therefore, probably, APT50, is sufficiently good. Many people used APT 50 with Beta 10CX and nobody complained about sound quality. Expensive speakers like WLM Diva floorstanders use this combination. There is no point in buying cheap woofer and add disproportionally expensive HF driver! Bear in mind that Craig is going to use these loudspeakers for Zeppelin kind of music.

Eminence xover is universal xover for several combinations of Beta CX drivers and compression horn drivers. Therefore, it is not ideal for any of these combinations. But K&T project CT235 xover is specifically designed for Beta 10CX + APT50.
Old 22nd December 2012, 06:39 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Also, it is wrong to judge the quality of any compression horn driver from manufacturers response curves which are very optimistic. If you measure any of these drivers, no matter how cheap or expensive, you shall see that response is anything but flat. The only reason to buy more expensive driver is that it has more thermal capacity, if you need it.
Old 22nd December 2012, 08:15 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlukic View Post
I believe that anyone who intend to build loudspeakers using cheap Eminence woofer like Beta 10CX is not aiming to achieve the utmost in linearity.
Good heavens, over 100dB linearity is the last thing I'd want. Think of how high the peaks would be! Dynamic compression is the only reason I can hear anything at my age.

Rockin' hard since before Zep,
Keriwena

PS: Don't sell the Eminence PA drivers short - some of them sound very good, indeed. Their distortion is not the fatiguing kind. (That was actually the secret of the 604's.)
Old 22nd December 2012, 09:42 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I rather fancy building something like this: even when used in a FAST configuration, full-range drivers don't have the oomph that bigger midranges can do.

Hide this!Advertise here!