Eminence Coaxial Towers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you everyone for the excellent feedback!

I've ready through the Osprey builds and learned quite a bit. It seems I was a bit naive to assume eminence had the best x-over design for this build, but it was a good starting point and learning experience!

My integrated amp (Lyngdorf 2170) has the ability to hp/lp with some sophistication, (although no notch filters). I'm thinkings about removing the existing x-over, and going to straight wire the speaker boxes and play with the crossover point, and different orders to see what seems to work best.

I realize I could fry the tweeter if the lyngdorf x-over is not working properly, but besides that is there anything I should be aware of with that plan?

Hope to get some more tests later this week to share with you all, and appreciate the discussion!

Osprey-II Revisited (Eminence 10CX with Selenium D220ti) – AmpsLab

Looks to me that Michael Chua used an electronic filter in his initial experiments. Third order, negative polarity. Ask him for the schematic. It looks quite complicated actually.

I used to run a pair of BETA-8A - Loudspeakers | Eminence Speaker. Very nice.

Jeff Bagby used Eminence Beta 8A in his Fusion-8 Alchemy. EOS 1" waveguide and B&C DE10 compression driver I think.

491343d1435706828-system-pictures-description-purple1-jpeg

Third order bass. Second coil must be around 0.5mH. But around 2.5kHz there like your eminence filter. The Beta is a bit flatter of course. But not rocket science.

Attachments

• Fusion_8 Alchemy 8.2uF EOS B&c DE10.JPG
    Fusion_8 Alchemy 8.2uF EOS B&c DE10.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 322
System7, I've taken your advice to reach out to Mike Chua and appreciate the tip. He's been very helpful!

I'm reworking the speaker a bit, swapping out the asd1001 for the d220ti, and using a crossover similar to the osprey. I'll be sure to post up when the parts come in and I've had time to adjust.

I've had these big guys in my living room for several months, really enjoying them. Finally have committed to cleaning them up with some veneer. Before I do that I wanted to take some more measurements and see if anyone can suggest tweaks or things to try.

I'm a little confused by the dip in the impedance plot @1khz.

These are using the Osprey II network graciously shared from Michael Chua. only deviation from his design was to split it into dual binding posts so I can troubleshoot any issues I experienced as this is my first non subwoofer based project.

They are a lot of fun to listen to, only oddity I did experience was image separation with hi-hats and other HF info, where the vocals were distinctly coming from the center image, but the HF information was clearly coming from the left and the right simultaneous and not blending in the center. Toeing in the speakers helped a bit but its still present on some tracks.

DokzDrI.png

jpFsV69.jpg

LHjqHNZ.jpg

HFdPITB.jpg

5Yri7c9.jpg

jv9dqeq.jpg

Last edited:
can it be so that the tracks are panned like that? otherwise there must be some frequency deviations between your two speakers, have you measured both, preferable gated measurements? are they in good match?

how does your setup sound when playing mono tracks?

about the impedance dip, it looks a bit strange, do you have a compensation circuit in the crossover? can you show a graph that beginns at 0ohm

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.