OB Design Suggetions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2012, 05:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default OB Design Suggetions

I am looking to build my first OB speakers. I have built a pair of Frugel Horns (two actually, one from plywood to see how they come out and the second pair from cherry). The cherry ones look great and sound fantastic. There was a great amount of resources for the Frugel Horns. So I am looking a design that I could follow. I do have a few limitations/requests on size (size be dictated by my girl friend):
Baffle size about 14" wide and not taller then 4 feet.
Woofer to be no larger then 10", but would be ok using two woofers per speaker.

With those limitations, I am looking for some design ideas.
Old 30th November 2012, 05:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I do like the Flagship Jamo Reference R 909 open baffle audio speaker, but something not as wide, with smaller woofers (if that is even possible).
Old 30th November 2012, 11:02 PM   #3
holdent is offline holdent  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Bozeman:
The defining feature of many OBs is that they are big and typically require big woofers to achieve adequate bass passively. If you are prepared to go active and equalize the bass you can use much smaller woofers and narrower baffles.

Martin King used the passive, unequalized approach when designing OBs -- see his Quarter wave site (OB Theory). His designs are wide and tall and utilize 15" or 18" woofers.

Seigfried Linkwitz uses active analog equalized designs (Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design). His Orion design uses two 10" subwoofers and an 8" woofer.

John K uses an active/hybrid approach for his designs found at his Music and Design site (Offerings). Both Linkwitz's and John K's use narrower baffles.

There is a deign thread on a very good looking Jamo r909 clone at the Audio Circle site at Plan for open baffle Jamo r909 clone. The member jonirvine went with two 15" Eminence Alpha 15As per side in a wider baffle.

Last edited by holdent; 30th November 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 1st December 2012, 02:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Trade in GFv1 for GFv2 and get much bigger woofers...

Hide this!Advertise here!