Crossover and Phase.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's well known that a 1st order crossover has constant phase shift of pi/2 radians over all frequencies. How do you figure out which crossovers have which kind of phase shift? Even with any given order of crossover, there are many ways to achieve it. A first order crossover for example, is not necessarily a capacitor and inductor, it can be far more complex.

I assume you mean constant phase shift between the two sections. Each section has a non constant phase shift relative to its input.

If a crossover is truly 1st or 2nd or 3rd, it would have the phase shift of that order no matter how it was created. If you are using more components than the minimum you are typically compensating for a non flat impedance, other wise the minimum number of components would suffice.

The phase shift comes along inseperably with the response (see Hilbert Transform). A better way to think of it is that each order adds another 90 degrees of phase shift in the stop band, with only half that value (N x 90) at the corner frequency. There is little or no phase shift in the pass band.

David

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
well, Im no expert on these matters
but I take it the phase shift is slower and more gradual on low order filters
and I suppose, less gradual and faster turning with steeper filters

and each driver in different 'direction', so to speak
I suppose the trick to get the coherence we all want you must get this turning phase in the stopbands to follow a mutual patter common, in unity, somehow

I may have achieved it, so I do think its possible, some of the way at least
I just dont know excactly how or why it works

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Yes I mean constant phase shift between woofer and tweeter if its a two way. Are there any other crossover types that can do that? I believe this is what gives such designs the coherence that I hear.

I think you might be referring to constant group delay? Only a first-order crossover can achieve that...in the analog world.

Anyways, try using one of the many utilities or speaker-design programs to allow visualization of the phase response of various crossover schemes. Here's one:

Transfer Function Designer - Crossover Response Target Generator

Dave.

I think you might be referring to constant group delay? Only a first-order crossover can achieve that...in the analog world.

Anyways, try using one of the many utilities or speaker-design programs to allow visualization of the phase response of various crossover schemes. Here's one:

Transfer Function Designer - Crossover Response Target Generator

Dave.

Actually thst is not the case. There are an infinite umber of analog crossovers that can result in constant GD.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Your 2nd-order TP design came after the Small paper in 1971, did it not?

I suppose a 3rd-order Butterworth crossover would also be considered a subset of the constant-voltage crossover since it also does not exhibit constant GD but sums with a flat amplitude response?

Regardless, there are already MANY threads here on DIYaudio with explanations/definitions on this topic. I'm sorry I didn't define my earlier posting (#5) with the precision required to not catch your eye. :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.