Nextel suede paint speaker finish restoration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got a pair of old Celestion SL600 in dear need of restoration. Old nextel paint is soft and sticky and I deliberate how to proceed. Strip it , sand it, prime the aluminum enclosure and spray paint it ? I guess thick nextel paint supposed to also damp enclosure resonances in original design and I'm thinking of just washing the old finish smoothing up scratches and spraying it over . Anybody dealt with this before?

Soft and sticky from environmental crud or is it really the paint itself degrading?

I don't think the nextel offers much in the way of damping (if anything). The SL600 was about the Aralam (honeycomb material) having high stifness and relatively light weight.

I think I would either clean it up and live with it (if it was a cleanable stickiness), otherwise sand it smooth and paint over it. If you strip it completely you will have to deal with painting and priming aluminum which can be difficult.

On the other hand, if the paint has gone gunky then it may be hard to sand.

David S.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.