Nextel suede paint speaker finish restoration - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2012, 01:25 PM   #1
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Nextel suede paint speaker finish restoration

Got a pair of old Celestion SL600 in dear need of restoration. Old nextel paint is soft and sticky and I deliberate how to proceed. Strip it , sand it, prime the aluminum enclosure and spray paint it ? I guess thick nextel paint supposed to also damp enclosure resonances in original design and I'm thinking of just washing the old finish smoothing up scratches and spraying it over . Anybody dealt with this before?
Old 30th November 2012, 06:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Soft and sticky from environmental crud or is it really the paint itself degrading?

I don't think the nextel offers much in the way of damping (if anything). The SL600 was about the Aralam (honeycomb material) having high stifness and relatively light weight.

I think I would either clean it up and live with it (if it was a cleanable stickiness), otherwise sand it smooth and paint over it. If you strip it completely you will have to deal with painting and priming aluminum which can be difficult.

On the other hand, if the paint has gone gunky then it may be hard to sand.

David S.
Old 30th November 2012, 06:35 PM   #3
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

I think it's a paint degrading but you're right about painting aluminum .I'll try to wash it with solvent sand it and paint it over.
Thanks , L

Hide this!Advertise here!