Owens Corning 703 for cabinet lining?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am back again with more cabinet lining questions...

What is the consensus on using something like a semi rigid fiberglass sheet at 1" thick to line the cabinet and especially the area behind the mid-range drivers in a sealed 3-way monitor?

Seems like this would be a good use for fiberglass since it is lightly bonded and should not become airborne and get into my voicecoil but is it too dense to be effective?

How do these sheets compare to other materials?

GM

Joined 2003
703 was originally listed as acoustic fiberglass insulation made specifically for damping all manner of systems from air ducts to acoustic tile ceilings to speaker cabs.

Altec used it almost exclusively in their pro and consumer products for decades until pressured to quit, hence recommended it to the DIYers and what I use/recommend and if you're concerned about fiberglass dust coming out the vent, cover it with a decorative screen or speaker grill.

It's a better broadband absorber than most other products used, so just use less of it. Altec's recommendation to only damp the top, one and back is almost always all I need and even then you normally don't need to damp the entire panel. Works pretty good on horns down into the mid-bass too.

GM

Attachments

• 24e5_12.JPG
    24e5_12.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 9844Ainside.jpg
    9844Ainside.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 93
  • MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 97
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.